Odd Position Shooting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Position Shooting

We all want to think that should the worst happen and we are forced into a self defense situation will be able to work from our favorite position

That may not happen, sometimes the first clue that we are in a fight might be a sharp pain on the back of the head and the ground coming up to meet us

Do you practice for this, have you even thought about it

"Take another look at that picture. Imagine yourself in that position. Could you draw your gun? Those of you who carry in pants pockets, in the small of your back, or in an off-body holster may be out of luck."

http://www.activeresponsetraining.ne...VO8VLtpMYkGYDM

Most ranges are not designed for odd position live fire practice, upwards angles tends to send bullets over the berm

As an alternative to live fire get a air soft pistol and you can safely practice (always wear eye protection) these positions
    "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Had to shoot both of my deers from odd--for me--positions last week, one from prone and one off-hand. Been a long time since I seriously practiced those with the rifle, gonna have to rectify that. The deers hated it. Ace2
    Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

If the deer had been trying to run antlers through your chest wonder how well you would have done shooting from odd positions

Trying to equate what happens in the hunting field to self defense is silly isn't it

But hey, you keep tryin'
      Last edited by ricco; 01-09-2019, 01:32.
      "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

Comment

From the article:
        Unload your CCW piece and put it in the holster you use for daily carry. Can you draw (preferably without muzzling yourself):

From the standing position?

From a kneeling position? One knee? The other knee? Both knees down?

Sitting on the ground?

Laying on your side? Both sides?

Laying on your back?

Laying on your stomach?
        About the only position I can see having trouble with is if I'm laying on my strong side. The only way I can think of to counter this difficulty is to have a holster on the weak side, as in a 'New York reload'. Would that work?
        Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.
        The Pale Horse available on Amazon for your digital reader.
        I don't know why I'm better with revolvers, keat so please stop asking.

Comment

Regardless of where we carry the draw will somehow be impeded

Honest, I don't see drawing from odd positions as being as much of a problem as shooting from odd positions, which of course isn't to say occasionally working draws from odd positions shouldn't be practiced

Where draws from odd positions might be difficult would be if during the fall the hands were injured or if the fall lead to you and your opponent in a grappling contest, kinda tough to draw with a person trying as hard to get your pistol as you are

Comment

These a-typical positions or often marketed as advanced curriculum when in fact they are get you back for another class type filler. Students generally enjoy them as it's an adventure away from the boring but oh so critical, critical skills. I personally feel they're all but unnecessary and a distraction from developing the critical skills.

If a person hasn't had any or it's been a long time since they've had any formal training they should be focusing elsewhere, the critical skills perhaps.

You know what almost completely mitigates these a-typical positions? Carrying your gun in an appropriate location. Centerline. Presentation is damn near the same regardless of what position you might find yourself in.

Inside a vehicle is the first and only position I would likely recommend someone work on once the critical skills were concrete. Why? Easy right? Due to the fact that we spend a good amount of time in our vehicles. For the person who carries centerline this isn't much of a task even when belted in. 3 o'clock and beyond, not so much.

For folks who have the critical skills nailed down why not. I'd rather spend my time developing skills I'm more likely going to need.

Plausibility Principle is a great way to sort all of this out. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

"That may not happen, sometimes the first clue that we are in a fight might be a sharp pain on the back of the head and the ground coming up to meet us

Do you practice for this, have you even thought about it

Take another look at that picture. Imagine yourself in that position. Could you draw your gun? Those of you who carry in pants pockets, in the small of your back, or in an off-body holster may be out of luck."

The quote in bold should be a wake-up call. The first sentence is the most likely self defense scenario in which lethal force is the most appropriate response. It isn't your stand there, ready yourself, sight alignment, prep the trigger fantasy.
            Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

Just a normal practice session around here:

The Lion Does Not Turn Around When the Small Dog Barks

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck R. View Post
                Just a normal practice session around here:

Practice for what?
                Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by ricco View Post
                  If the deer had been trying to run antlers through your chest wonder how well you would have done shooting from odd positions

Trying to equate what happens in the hunting field to self defense is silly isn't it

But hey, you keep tryin'
                  Well, first, 'if the deer had been trying to run antlers through [my] chest', that would qualify as a self defense situation, so.....
                  Second, if I'd been trying to shoot an antlered deer--from any position--there would be other problems. It was antlerless season. Ace2
                  Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

Working...
                  X