"THE SECRETS: SIX MYTHS OF THE GUN WORLD"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "THE SECRETS: SIX MYTHS OF THE GUN WORLD"

" These are things that have been accepted as truth because they have been said so often. The problem is that many of those repeating these things have no first hand knowledge and so they repeat what they have heard. A myth repeated often enough becomes a widely held belief...almost a religious belief. yet, it is still a myth, and myths are not truth."

https://blog.suarezinternational.com...gun-world.html

Can't say I completely agree with MYTH #4

"I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

The only "myth" here is that anyone thinks these things. These are "widely held myths" only in Suarez's head. NO ONE with any real thinking believes 1-6, excepting 4 (and you'd better be prepared for 4, because it's likely). Frankly, keat's whole persona is projecting that others believe what he wants others to believe, so he can feel superior.

NO ONE I know believes that having a gun is all that is needed, or that range target shooting is all that is needed, or that just saying "I was in fear for my life" is a magic ticket to immunity, or that physical fitness doesn't matter, or that PTSD is an inevitable result of having to use your weapon.

But Suarez - and others like him, or who parrot him - need to believe and preach that others believe that. It's his livelihood.

His "myths," are for the most part, a myth that they are myths. .
    "In Heaven there will be no law, and the lion will lie down with the Lamb... In Hell there will be nothing but law, and due process will Be meticulously observed". - Professor Grant Gilmore, Yale Law School

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by GMC70 View Post
      The only "myth" here is that anyone thinks these things. These are "widely held myths" only in Suarez's head. NO ONE with any real thinking believes 1-6, excepting 4 (and you'd better be prepared for 4, because it's likely). Frankly, keat's whole persona is projecting that others believe what he wants others to believe, so he can feel superior.

NO ONE I know believes that having a gun is all that is needed, or that range target shooting is all that is needed, or that just saying "I was in fear for my life" is a magic ticket to immunity, or that physical fitness doesn't matter, or that PTSD is an inevitable result of having to use your weapon.

But Suarez - and others like him, or who parrot him - need to believe and preach that others believe that. It's his livelihood.

How did I get pulled into this, lol.

When was the last time you attended a no gun fight focused self defense course? Who taught it?

When's the last time you participated in any FoF training?

When's the last time you were punched in the face, elbowed, thrown around, choked or kicked? When's the last time you did any of that to someone?

What's your typical gym routine?

The thing is a lot of people believe the gun is a talisman and just shoot'em. I've dealt with more people and guns than I ever cared to. For a guy who started off ready to change the world, worked for free on his days off, came in early off the clock and stayed late off the clock why would I now feel this way? What caused me to become so jaded? Do you think I want to believe this B.S.? I hate the fact that the serious minded self defense practitioner is a rarity. We used to say that a very small % of people who own guns take a CCH class and only 1% of those folks ever seek additional education. Many of the instructors I've spoken with from various areas across the U.S. have similar experiences. If it's not true please explain why so many share this same idea.

Sample size means something.

Earlier this week someone brought up self scrutiny.
      Last edited by mjkeat; 02-08-2019, 18:53.
      Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

You must not hang around gun shops and shooting ranges much or read very many gun forms

Let's look at these myths

1. If all you carry is a J frame in your front pocket, have never gotten training and have never done FOF this is you

2. If you don't move dynamically while drawing and shooting, don't practice point shooting, don't add empty hand skill in combination with your firearm and never do FOF, this is you (I know lot's of people who don't do any of things and never will)

3. I have heard and read people say this

4. I don't believe this is a myth, but then I don't trust anyone involved in the criminal justice industry

5. Dunno

6. Really, go to a gun shop sometime, with rare exception what you will see is the antithesis of athleticism
        Last edited by ricco; 02-08-2019, 18:58.
        "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

Comment

Originally posted by mjkeat View Post

How did I get pulled into this, lol.

When was the last time you attended a no gun fight focused self defense course? Who taught it?

When's the last time you participated in any FoF training?

When's the last time you were punched in the face, elbowed, thrown around, choked or kicked? When's the last time you did any of that to someone?

What's your typical gym routine?

The thing is a lot of people believe the gun is a talisman and just shoot'em. I've dealt with more people and guns than I ever cared to. For a guy who started off ready to change the world, worked for free on his days off, came in early off the clock and stayed late off the clock why would I now feel this way? What caused me to become so jaded? Do you think I want to believe this B.S.? I hate the fact that the serious minded self defense practitioner is a rarity. We used to say that a very small % of people who own guns take a CCH class and only 1% of those folks ever seek additional education. Many of the instructors I've spoken with from various areas across the U.S. have similar experiences. If it's not true please explain why so many share this same idea.

Sample size means something.

Earlier this week someone brought up self scrutiny.
          His post has nothing to do with reality, he used it bash and insult, nothing more

Comment

Originally posted by ricco View Post

His post has nothing to do with reality, he used it bash and insult, nothing more
            He could very well believe what he's saying. Benefit of the doubt. Him and his friends may not believe any of those myths. If he decides to answer any of the questions I've asked we'll get a better idea.

Comment

He could very well believe what he's saying. Benefit of the doubt. Him and his friends may not believe any of those myths. If he decides to answer any of the questions I've asked we'll get a better idea.
              Agreed......... but whether he "believes what he is saying" or not his belief still runs counter to reality

Maybe he will answer your questions but I doubt it, adding anything meaningful to the conversation isn't why he commented

Comment

Agreed......... but whether he "believes what he is saying" or not his belief still runs counter to reality

Maybe he will answer your questions but I doubt it, adding anything meaningful to the conversation isn't why he commented
                The same goes for all of us. Our perception does not change what is or isn't true.

Comment

The same goes for all of us. Our perception does not change what is or isn't true.
                  The difference is that some of us are willing to educate ourselves and when we discover we are wrong we make the necessary changes

I know you have done that as have I

Some are too lazy to change, too prideful to change or simply refuse to educate themselves, I have no use for those people

Comment

The difference is that some of us are willing to educate ourselves and when we discover we are wrong we make the necessary changes

I know you have done that as have I

Some are too lazy to change, too prideful to change or simply refuse to educate themselves, I have no use for those people
                    It's frustrating and unfortunate, whatever the reason.

Comment

Preach on. Agreed.
                      --Hollowpoint2003--

"Speak softly and carry a big stick."

Comment

Originally posted by hollowpoint2003 View Post

Preach on. Agreed.
                        Disagree, I gave my reasons, give yours

Comment

Preach on. Agreed.
                          It has been a while but are you the former marine who used to do karate and got mad at me when I spoke about the flaws of forms?

Comment

Not a former marine. Never served (if you did, thanks for your service). Don’t believe we’ve ever directly engaged in direct banter, but over ~10 years or so...maybe.

My agreement with GMC70 is based on the fact that 95% of what goes on in this ghost town is Ricco posting something from Captain Tactical A, which gets a reply from MJkeat. Then the next thread is MJkeat posting a link to some crap from Captain Tactical B, which yields a reply from Ricco. It’s part of what killed this place. (Political disagreement and the “upgraded” platform also being contributing factors). I have a feeling that’s what resulted the call out. Seriously, why don’t you guys just email each other? Ya’ll spam so much crap from these douche bag articles, but yep...just that ONE more will really get the 3-4 people that still frequent this place to thinking. You’re doing everyone a service.

We get it. More training>less training>no training. It’s better to get out of a situation than engage. Yada yada yada. I miss this place circa 2010ish. It was fun, informative, & had some diverse content.

--Hollowpoint2003--

"Speak softly and carry a big stick."

Comment

Not a former marine. Never served (if you did, thanks for your service). Don’t believe we’ve ever directly engaged in direct banter, but over ~10 years or so...maybe.

My agreement with GMC70 is based on the fact that 95% of what goes on in this ghost town is Ricco posting something from Captain Tactical A, which gets a reply from MJkeat. Then the next thread is MJkeat posting a link to some crap from Captain Tactical B, which yields a reply from Ricco. It’s part of what killed this place. (Political disagreement and the “upgraded” platform also being contributing factors). I have a feeling that’s what resulted the call out. Seriously, why don’t you guys just email each other? Ya’ll spam so much crap from these douche bag articles, but yep...just that ONE more will really get the 3-4 people that still frequent this place to thinking. You’re doing everyone a service.

We get it. More training>less training>no training. It’s better to get out of a situation than engage. Yada yada yada. I miss this place circa 2010ish. It was fun, informative, & had some diverse content.
                              I had another username 'Ianbluestone', created years before I lost my info created deerhunter in 2011. I agree it was a funner place with my diverse content back then.. I appreciate the self defense insights gleaned from here still.

I am glad MKeat and Ricco post stuff to keep forum active.
                              Last edited by deerhunter; 02-09-2019, 05:31.
                              PLAY THE TRUMP CARD IN 2016!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X