Are You "IN" Training?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are You "IN" Training?

"The Pit Online Dojo... Sometimes when I see people training or working out, it seems like they don’t really have much intention, it seems like they’re going through the motions. When you’re training, you should be on a mission".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0DQl6lwDnM
    "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

The family is asleep so I couldn't really hear what he was saying but I'll comment on the text you included with your post.

It's no secret that I dislike the physical part of skill development. Range time isn't generally fun and I'd rather be doing other things so I keep it short, sweet and to the point.

I'm typically not motivated to push myself. I have to manufacture motivation. I have to mind **** myself. I run scenarios of some of the worst visuals I can imagine and insert my family into them. Where there are paper targets I see actual living breathing BGs.

I keep an image of a homeless family sleepimg on tue sidewalk on my devices as motivation when I'm feeling lazy.

It's a mindset, a lifestyle. It has to be.
    Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by mjkeat View Post
      The family is asleep so I couldn't really hear what he was saying but I'll comment on the text you included with your post.

It's no secret that I dislike the physical part of skill development. Range time isn't generally fun and I'd rather be doing other things so I keep it short, sweet and to the point.

I'm typically not motivated to push myself. I have to manufacture motivation. I have to mind **** myself. I run scenarios of some of the worst visuals I can imagine and insert my family into them. Where there are paper targets I see actual living breathing BGs.

I keep an image of a homeless family sleepimg on tue sidewalk on my devices as motivation when I'm feeling lazy.

It's a mindset, a lifestyle. It has to be.
      Honest, there isn't much to listen to, I just put something up quick because I said I would

Motivation can be a tough thing

Right now I'm looking at a new heavy bag, don't need it but new equipment is a way I trick myself into staying motivated

Honest though, it looks like a great work out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCdLIP68_qs

It's easy to get bored training for self defense, the chances of needing the skills we develop can be very slim

That said, I have reached that age in life where I'm starting to look like food and I will only continue to look more and more like a menu item as i get older

Just recently a friend who is about my age was putting gas in his vehicle and noticed two young men staring hard and moving in his direction

Good thing for him was that a LEO pulled into the parking lot and the young men broke off went back to their car and left, so while no one knows for certain I think we can draw some conclusions

And that's the thing, all the time and effort spent training might never be used but an attack only takes a few seconds and could leave the victim with life long injuries or dead
      "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

Comment

Originally posted by ricco View Post

Honest, there isn't much to listen to, I just put something up quick because I said I would

Motivation can be a tough thing

Right now I'm looking at a new heavy bag, don't need it but new equipment is a way I trick myself into staying motivated

Honest though, it looks like a great work out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCdLIP68_qs

It's easy to get bored training for self defense, the chances of needing the skills we develop can be very slim

That said, I have reached that age in life where I'm starting to look like food and I will only continue to look more and more like a menu item as i get older

Just recently a friend who is about my age was putting gas in his vehicle and noticed two young men staring hard and moving in his direction

Good thing for him was that a LEO pulled into the parking lot and the young men broke off went back to their car and left, so while no one knows for certain I think we can draw some conclusions

And that's the thing, all the time and effort spent training might never be used but an attack only takes a few seconds and could leave the victim with life long injuries or dead
        It's probable that all our training will never be used for it's intended purpose and that's very much ok with me. There are positives to our every day l8fe that sometimes go unnoticed but are a product of the training.

I experienced a similar incident 12 years ago at the apartment I was living at. I walked a young lady down to her car and as we stood there we noticed 3 guys walking toward us. They were within 15 feet before we noticed them. I ushered her into her vehicle and I entered through the passenger's door. They walked by and kept walking. They had walked to a corner that was roughly 50 yards away turned then were back in front of the car before we were able to pull out of the parking spot. They had obviously sprinted down the backside of the apartments where we couldn't see them and back to us.

3 dudes in all black, hoods up and tied tightly around their faces so that I could barely see their eyes and noses.

I was in the best shape of my life at that moment. I was at the gym 12 to 15 hours a week lifting, rolling, striking, etc. then I'd workout at home. Sometimes it doesn't matter your size or perceived condition.

Edit: purchase a Muay Thai bag. It seems to be a more complete workout plus they don't seem to get as hard around the bottom as the stuffing settles making it better for your hands elbows and shins or whatever else you strike with.
        Last edited by mjkeat; 02-11-2019, 18:11.
        Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by ricco View Post
          At least your looking like food and not the after effects of eatting it! I think you guys just motivated me to go buy the Bowflex Max I and the wife have been looking at!

Its Dave, open up....Dave's not here!

gladium habens libertatem habet

Comment

If you do get the Bowflex let us know what you think about it

Looking at it, it appears to be better than ellipticals

Comment

Working...
            X