Preferred Tactical Flashlight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preferred Tactical Flashlight

I am looking to update a flashlight and I see some nice rechargeables now. What recommendations can be given for a 1)in car 2)bedside and 3)edc flashlights out there. Any advice on size, features and lumes would be appreciated.
    Its Dave, open up....Dave's not here!

gladium habens libertatem habet

I have had great luck with SureFires. My EDC is an older Lumamax L2 LED. I really like this light as it's compact enough to EDC and large enough to shoot with. It's also simple to operate with 15 Lumens on the low end and 200 lumens on the high end when you "push through". So it's pretty versatile for every day use such as navigation.

I also have a couple 6Ps (LED) and G2Z Combat lights.

I would look at about 200 Lumens for a minimum, "back in the day" 65 Lumens was considered GTG for defensive use, but with LEDs there's no reason not to go higher. I wouldn't go crazy on the high end though, cause I'm one of those that feels there can be "too much of a good thing" for a light that's primarily used in doors. All it takes is bouncing a beam off of something reflective or cover to convince most people that more might not be the way to go.

I've done a few low/no light classes, a bunch of low-light match stages and then a chitload of practice. 200 Lumens will illuminate a tgt at the low ready enough for positive ID at most HD distances. It will also do pretty well out doors to 50 yards or so. It will have a negative effect on anybody's vision that has acclimated to the dark.

I prefer a simple interface based on a tail-cap switch with a push momentary and screw in for full on. I also avoid the "defensive" jagged tail-caps as one of my preferred HH techniques is the Graham method (modified Roger's SureFire syringe method), in which the light is activated off the knuckles of your gun hand. The "defensive" tail-caps sometimes prevent activation, or make it somewhat painful. I also like a light about the size of the SureFire 6P series as they are small enough to carry and large enough to shoot with using most of the modern techniques; Harries, Roger's SureFire, Graham, Neck/Jaw index, FBI etc.

Before picking a type, I'd try some techniques and see what works for you. For instance the Z2 combat style lights makes sense IF you're going to be using Roger's, but they're not so comfortable for Graham and the ring adds bulk to the light. IF your close to Leavenworth, drop me a line and you can try some of mine.

I don't have rechargeables as I prefer the 123A Lithiums and I find it easier to carry spares than sweat having to recharge at some point. We also get good deals on the SureFire batteries in the PX, so I've converted all my HH and WMLs to 123s.

Hope this helps.
    The Lion Does Not Turn Around When the Small Dog Barks

Comment

Not necessarily tacticool, with the popular Mall Ninja names and titles, but for decent every-day use at a price that won't make you cry if you lose it, take a look at the Guidesman brand. I find them at Menard's. Different sizes and features, some are fairly compact and hand-filling, some are small enough for the belt. I have a couple laying around that are bright enough to jacklight deers out to a couple hundred yards or more (strictly for population checks, of course). The smaller ones are plenty bright enough to blood trail with, and will firmly imprint dark spots in a bad guy's eyes. So far, they've seemed to be tough enough; I've dropped them on hard ground, never tried the 'throw it against a brick wall' test.

For the proper tacticool purpose, I'll go along with Chuck; SureFire has enough options to fill any practical need. Ace2
      Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

Don't go retarded on lumens. Reality is it's going to be a utility thing for finding your phone that has fallen between your seat or on the ground under or deside your car because you ejected it while exiting your vehicle because you dropped it in your lap when you drove past that police officer.

The romantic notion that you're going to be utilizing some form of cigar/syringe or some other silly and overly complex (in the moment) technique is farfetched if you understand the reality of violence and the CCWer. These techniques require anticipation and time. I've found that they're carry over from law enforncement by former law enforcement guys who don't really understand context.

A jaw index is more realiatic if any of these things are.

At one point in my life I was encouraged to teach these different techniques. Though I attempted to stear people away from this particular course some insisted. The fumbling and whatnot made it very clear very quickly what worked and what didn't. Imagine if we were trying to perform this silliness while in a critical incident. Range vs fight. Some get it some don't. You have 2 cops and one normal I'm civilian nobody commenting here. The contrast is interesting imo.

I just saw someone mentioned blinding BGs. Lol. Don't get caught up in that ridiculousness.

Oh, and low ready, don't ever do that dumb ****.
        Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by mjkeat View Post
          Don't go retarded on lumens. Reality is it's going to be a utility thing for finding your phone that has fallen between your seat or on the ground under or deside your car because you ejected it while exiting your vehicle because you dropped it in your lap when you drove past that police officer.

The romantic notion that you're going to be utilizing some form of cigar/syringe or some other silly and overly complex (in the moment) technique is farfetched if you understand the reality of violence and the CCWer. These techniques require anticipation and time. I've found that they're carry over from law enforncement by former law enforcement guys who don't really understand context.

A jaw index is more realiatic if any of these things are.

At one point in my life I was encouraged to teach these different techniques. Though I attempted to stear people away from this particular course some insisted. The fumbling and whatnot made it very clear very quickly what worked and what didn't. Imagine if we were trying to perform this silliness while in a critical incident. Range vs fight. Some get it some don't. You have 2 cops and one normal I'm civilian nobody commenting here. The contrast is interesting imo.

I just saw someone mentioned blinding BGs. Lol. Don't get caught up in that ridiculousness.

Oh, and low ready, don't ever do that dumb ****.
          I am confused by your "helpfulness" here. About the only helpful info was your recommendation to "don't go retarded on lumens" and then your Jiu Jitsu "jaw index" reference. I didn't see a recommended flashlight, so you must not recommend one...so say so instead of the drama.
          Last edited by Dmog; 03-29-2019, 20:42.

Comment

Dollar for dollar the Maglight XL 100 and XL 200 . They use 3 AAA batteries and can be dimmed making it possible to read a printed page or map.

The people think the Constitution protects their rights; But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
            If your religion says suicide and murder are wrong; Aren't you doing both if you are not prepared to defend your life and the lives of others?
            I am not a lawyer, but I have personal opinions.

Comment

Give the Streamlight Pro Tac 2L-X a look, lot's of bang for the bucks

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-8.../dp/B06X6DM9XH

I've been carrying this for EDC and on the night stand for about 6 months and haven't had any problems

If I lost it I would buy another, that's about as good of a recommendation as I can give
              "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Dmog View Post

I am a confused by your "helpfulness" here. About the only helpful info was your recommendation to "don't go retarded on lumens" and than your Jiu Jitsu "jaw index" reference. I didn't see a recommended flashlight, so you must not recommend one...so say so instead of the troll ****!
                I think maybe you missed something.

I didn't make a specific brand recommendation because it really doesn't matter as explained in the 2nd sentence of my post. It's similar to the aftermarket sights thing. Pick up one of those LED lights at the Jump Start or Dollar store checkout line in your favorite color.

Jaw index is a simple, grosser motor skill. I wasn't aware of a jiu jitsu connection. Jaw index is simply using the jaw to index the flashlight. It goes where the eyes go without additional time, effort or energy plus you're not pointing the gun at things you're trying to illuminate as per the other methods mentioned which is about better decision making. Startle response, more specifically clench response and so on.

Simply recommending a brand of light would have been easier. I get it. Addressing the ridiculousness within the other posts is more important so that's where I focused. It is the tactics and technique sub forum though I would have done the same in the gear specific sub forum.

If we want to talk gear that's cool. I used to be a gear queen. I'd spend the majority of my $2k monthly per diem on gear and guns. This went on for the better part of 2 years. While sitting on a pile of gear I had this revelation, sold most of it and got to work developing skill. Best thing I've done self defense related. Gear will never replace skill though it is a popular alternative.

I then was fortunate enough to be in a position where I was able to work with and observe large numbers of shooters. I learned a lot. My point. I'm here to share what I've learned and observed. Mostly I'm here to combat bad info and dogma that seems to flourish.

Gear can be fun to talk about until you realize it doesn't equate to much of anything as far as helping win the fight. It only took one deployment to realize that. Go to any battle tested company on deployment and rummage through their duffles and lock boxes and you'll find all the "cool" gear they've been issued.

I guess it all depends on what you're after. Self defense isn't fun imo. It can be painful and expensive. Collecting gear isn't fun. It can be painful and expensive. I often found myself asking why and left with an empty feeling. If it's your thing, maybe even a hobby (been there) then have at it.

I'm bored and rambling...

Comment

Agreed on the "jaw Index", I've given other positions an honest try and jaw index works best, very accurate

ETA

One reason I like the streamlight is that it close to the size of a kubaton, I have practiced quite a bit with kubatons and the streamlight feels familiar
                  Last edited by ricco; 03-29-2019, 21:22.
                  "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

Yep, I missed something. I wasn’t aware the name for the light technique you described was Jaw Index. I was referencing the technique of using a flashlight to apply pressure to the jaw.
                    Last edited by Dmog; 03-29-2019, 22:17.

Comment

Yep, I missed something. I wasn’t aware the name for the light technique you described was Jaw Index. I was referencing the technique of using a flashlight to apply pressure to the jaw.
                      It might come to that, lol.

How old are you and what's your background in self defense? Just curious, you seem like you have commonsense.

Comment

I believe we chatted once at Central States Defensive Carbine or similar. Might have been a different forum member. Past my prime but still willing...lol.

Comment

I am looking to update a flashlight and I see some nice rechargeables now. What recommendations can be given for a 1)in car 2)bedside and 3)edc flashlights out there. Any advice on size, features and lumes would be appreciated.
                          Okay, tactical, meaning to be used in fighting, therefore must have a high degree of dependability and performance, because your life may be at stake. Because you said tactical, I dismiss all imports, whose specs and quality are suspect, and I focus on brands that fighting men and women rely on, specifically, Malkoff Devices, Elzetta, and Surefire. Those are the only brands that I would risk my life with. For a lesser criteria, Maglite, Underwater Kinetics and Princeton Tec are good.

I have been carrying two flashlights for some time now, a Surefire 1000 lumen P3X Fury Tactical (tailcap button, only) for tactical use, and then Mini-Maglite LED Pro+ for everyday, non-tactical use.

Take a look at Malkoff Devices website and Elzetta's website, and if you don't find what you want there, then look on Surefire's website. MD and Elzetta I rate higher quality than SF. I have the SF because of the high lumens when I bought it, plus not being familiar with the other two. But now I would choose one of the others over SF.

A neutral or warm tint light is superior to the cool white, as it gives more true color rendition, and just works better, hard to explain. If you look on candlepower forum or youtube you might get the idea.

I won't give you any more recommendation than that, as you will need to study and decide on your own. Everyone's preferences are bound to vary a bit, so my choices may not meet your needs and wants. Good luck, and have fun shopping.

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.com/

https://www.elzetta.com/

https://www.surefire.com/illumination/flashlights.html

https://www.maglite.com/shop/flashli...hargeable.html
                          Last edited by Goodtime Charlie; 03-30-2019, 01:32.
                          http://youtu.be/ei8OK4WdoW0
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4CuH...e=channel_page
                          http://www.stoppingpower.net/comment...tervention.asp
                          http://youtu.be/wXwPtP-KDNk
                          https://youtu.be/Iy71umadb6k

Comment

I believe we chatted once at Central States Defensive Carbine or similar. Might have been a different forum member. Past my prime but still willing...lol.
                            I don't recall but it's been a long time since then.

Same here, past my prime but going down kicking and screaming.

I really like those two, really good people. We disagree on some things civilian self defense related but it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by mjkeat View Post

I don't recall but it's been a long time since then.

Same here, past my prime but going down kicking and screaming.

I really like those two, really good people. We disagree on some things civilian self defense related but it happens.
                              Yah, good classes but interesting difference between LEO instructors and Military instructors. LEO follow the rules and Miltary win at all costs!

Comment

Working...
                              X