X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mjkeat
    started a topic evolution-of-a-defensive-firearms-owner

evolution-of-a-defensive-firearms-owner

Worth the read for those interested in self defense.

https://www.nosofttargets.com/blog/b...irearms-owner/

• deerhunter
    replied
    Originally posted by Not so big Tom View Post
    Deerhunter, I am a leather guy, but found Crossbreed let me do a kydex outer shell comfortably. If you don’t like it, they will eat it. The seem to get better with time though.
    I used a crossbreed super tuck without combat cut for my p228. Most comftorable holster. width if belt clips with decent belt works wonders.....

Leave a comment:

• mjkeat
    replied
    Originally posted by Ace View Post

Tom, you don't seem to understand yet. 'Real world' doesn't count, no matter how well it works, if it goes against TMK's philosophy, opinion. or theories.

Also, it seems you are starting to get it. Come over to the 'Yes Master' side, and you will be--I dunno--accepted as a true believer?

In the FWIW column, I prefer leather, too. It has always worked BITD, and still does. Ace2
    When you say "real world" what exactly are you referring to? When you refer to real world experience specifically dealing with yourself what exactly are you refering to? Your time as a cop or...?

Leave a comment:

• mjkeat
    replied
    Originally posted by ricco View Post
    The leather holsters I've looked at seem rather bulky for IWB

Given that the CCW is about a bazillion times more likely to get in a punch-kick-rolling around on the ground fight than he is a gunfight unless the leather holster has some type of formed liner sandwiched in or retention straps, which in my opinion are suicidal for CCW I believe Kydex will hold the pistol in place better than leather
    It's an issue of maintenance and longevity as well as the performance issues you've stated. These things also influence the safety of the one utilizing the holster.

When we make recommendations it should be expected that we back then up with thorough explanations why so that others can make an informed decision based on facts/truths/evidence/performance in context or whatever else is needed.

It has worked in my very limited experience in situations or events having little to nothing to do with the context in which the person is looking for recommendations will lead to bad decisions, disappointment, or illpreparedness (making up words I think). Dealing with the topic we are being illprepared could mean death. Take your recommendations seriously or stop making them.

I get and appreciate that people are trying to help but we need to understand the importance of the subject matter.

Leave a comment:

• ricco
    replied
    The leather holsters I've looked at seem rather bulky for IWB

Given that the CCW is about a bazillion times more likely to get in a punch-kick-rolling around on the ground fight than he is a gunfight unless the leather holster has some type of formed liner sandwiched in or retention straps, which in my opinion are suicidal for CCW I believe Kydex will hold the pistol in place better than leather

Leave a comment:

• Ace
    replied
    I gave deerhunter an opinion, then offered a real world personal experience suggestion that is better than his current nylon.

No no need to banter with you as I will be wrong because I don’t agree with you 100% of the time.
    Tom, you don't seem to understand yet. 'Real world' doesn't count, no matter how well it works, if it goes against TMK's philosophy, opinion. or theories.

Also, it seems you are starting to get it. Come over to the 'Yes Master' side, and you will be--I dunno--accepted as a true believer?

In the FWIW column, I prefer leather, too. It has always worked BITD, and still does. Ace2

Leave a comment:

• Not so big Tom
    replied
    I gave deerhunter an opinion, then offered a real world personal experience suggestion that is better than his current nylon.

No no need to banter with you as I will be wrong because I donít agree with you 100% of the time.

Leave a comment:

• mjkeat
    replied
    They perform the job as needed.
    Holding the gun or do your expectations go further than that? What is the job they perform?
    Last edited by mjkeat; 04-11-2019, 23:49.

Leave a comment:

• Not so big Tom
    replied
    They perform the job as needed.

Leave a comment:

• mjkeat
    replied
    Custom fit, and comfort.
    Nothing to do with performance?

Leave a comment:

• Not so big Tom
    replied
    Custom fit, and comfort.

Leave a comment:

• mjkeat
    replied
    Deerhunter, I am a leather guy, but found Crossbreed let me do a kydex outer shell comfortably. If you don’t like it, they will eat it. The seem to get better with time though.
    Why do you prefer leather?

Leave a comment:

• Not so big Tom
    replied
    Deerhunter, I am a leather guy, but found Crossbreed let me do a kydex outer shell comfortably. If you donít like it, they will eat it. The seem to get better with time though.

Leave a comment:

• mjkeat
    replied
    Originally posted by deerhunter View Post
    with the advent of striker fired handguns and kydex holsters in particular, they create a combination were the holster becomes the safety. When holster to gun is secure and trigger is protected. Out of the holster its in kill mode. I have a couple cheap nylon IWB holsters but I much prefer kydex if I had the choice. The comfort of the nylon IWB holsters is hard to beat so I still use them a majority of the time..
    They holster should be made specifically for the gun we carry and made of kydex. To many +'s and minimal -'s, to no -'s not to use kydex compared to other holster materials. The same with MSF handguns. If someone is using something other than this combo it's definately not a choice based on performance.

Nylon is sketchy. It doesn't hold the gun well or protect the trigger adequately in comparison.

Leave a comment:

• ricco
    replied
    Originally posted by deerhunter View Post
    with the advent of striker fired handguns and kydex holsters in particular, they create a combination were the holster becomes the safety. When holster to gun is secure and trigger is protected. Out of the holster its in kill mode. I have a couple cheap nylon IWB holsters but I much prefer kydex if I had the choice. The comfort of the nylon IWB holsters is hard to beat so I still use them a majority of the time..
    Gotta agree, MSF pistols and kydex holsters were giant leaps forward

Leave a comment:

Working...
X