Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who NOT to waste your money and time with.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who NOT to waste your money and time with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuzNRfuD3QI

All points are valid.

And remember that you'll never get that time, money and effort back.
    Last edited by fixxer; 05-08-2019, 05:20.
    For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!
    -Lord Byron (=5 lines)

This has been posted before. If I remember correctly this gentleman doesn't seem to have a real good sense of good and bad when it comes to defensive firearms training and shouldn't be making recommendations on who with or where to get training.
    Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

He's just an informed consumer looking to help his fellows out. Is he missing the requisite shiny placard?
      He's not lying, so at least he already starts out with more cred than most of tactical sheep herders.
      For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
      And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
      And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
      And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!
      -Lord Byron (=5 lines)

Comment

Originally posted by fixxer View Post
        He's just an informed consumer looking to help his fellows out. Is he missing the requisite shiny placard?
        He's not lying, so at least he already starts out with more cred than most of tactical sheep herders.
        I'm pulling from memory from however long ago this video was first linked on this site but he is not informed based on his obvious lack of understanding of what's important and what's not in the context of personal defense. He isn't helping he's hurting those who like him don't have a good grasp of the topic.

Again, if I remember correctly, he demos some B.S./sloppy technique in the video as well.

I couldn't care less about shiny things to hang on walls, pin on lapels or file away in some special place. Anyone who has done anything or been anywhere understands those things are rarely worth a damn.

What valid points do you feel he makes?

edit: I watched the video again through where he talked about frontsite. He makes a valid point about frontsite. Frontsite is trash. Where he fails is his focus on physical skills and how he measures validity. He's talking self defense but uses military and LEO as evidence to prove his beliefs on what frontsite teaches. Though I agree what they teach is **** using what LEO and mil teaches or doesn't teach as evidence shows he doesn't understand context. If one doesn't understand context they haven't the tools to make quality recommendations.

He has plaques and certs on the wall. Lame. But then again he's trying to steer people away from frontsite so he coukdnt be all bad.
        Last edited by mjkeat; 05-08-2019, 12:08.

Comment

Depends on what you're interested in learning and developing and how deep into the learning and developing process you are willing to go

I personally don't know anything about Frontsite, a person a friend shoots competition with is a Frontsite guy, he has been there several times and attempted to get his "Combat Master" cert, My friend asked him to do Force on Force with us, he never did, I am curious about a person that want's to be a "Combat Master" but won't risk getting hit with a plastic BB

Never heard of "T Rex Arms", no opinion

I have never trained with Rob Pincus but I have his "Counter Ambush" material. If a person is only interested in punching holes in paper or hearing steel clang and maybe convincing themselves they are training/practicing for self defense "Counter Ambush" is not for that person. "Counter Ambush" is an in depth study of how the mind and body react to the stessors of SELF DEFENSE. I have done Ayoob's LFI1 (MAG40) and in my opinion Pincus's "Counter Ambush" material goes well beyond Ayoob's. Standing on a square range ringing steel and having a person stick a gun in your face in dimly lighted parking lot are very different things and our minds and bodies react very differently. Having the knowledge beforehand gives us a better chance of getting to go home

Giddings says he wouldn't train with Pusikas because of an accident at a shoot house. Later in the video he says that if a person was to only take one handgun class he would recommend Gunsite. I tink that is an interesting recommendation given that Gunsite had a shooting related death in their shoot house

Last but not least we have Suarez, Did Suarez do time, yeah he did. Is Suarez a less than amiable person to people that come to his forum spouting nonsense, yeah he is. Giddings says that Suarez isn't teaching anything that you can't learn anywhere else, I beg to differ. I have no use for "Proactive" curriculum so I have no opinion on that part of Suarez's methodology. His reactive methodology is very different than that what others teach, and he backs up what he teaches FOF. Earlier in the video Giddings says that an instructor should have a LEO or Military background I suppose because of experience, I don't know if I completely agree with that statement but let's go with it anyway. During Suarez's LEO career he was involved in numerous gunfights, the face to face kind. I didn't ask how many BG's Suarez has killed in those face to face gunfights because I thought it would be rude and really none of my business. That said, when I was looking for an instructor I found a mention of Suarez by Jeff Cooper who wrote something like, "Gabe got another one, now he's just one short of a ace", take from that what you will.

We have choices and again it depends on what you are wanting, if it's competition it doesn't matter much because however it turns out you get to go home. If it's for SELF DEFENSE choose like your life depends on it
          "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

That video looked familiar. Here's why.

http://www.ksccw.com/forum/the-range...iners-to-avoid
            Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.
            The Pale Horse available on Amazon for your digital reader.

Comment

Okay, now that that's done let's talk about "timers" shall we

How do they aid our SELF DEFENSE practice

A likely scenario, you are putting groceries in your car and person walks up and puts a knife to your neck

The timer helps how?
              "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

Comment

Not a timer in sight, I guess they aren't really training

https://www.facebook.com/TheSuarezGr...type=3&theater

More people not really training

https://www.facebook.com/TheSuarezGr...type=3&theater
                Last edited by ricco; 05-09-2019, 01:15.

Comment

No timers here either, again I guess they aren't really training

https://www.facebook.com/RobPincusPr...type=3&theater

Comment

Thank ypu for the reminder Ricco.

I've been in a few gun fights and survived, it means absolutely nothing and it shouldn't mean a damn thing to any one.

So not only is this dude, his voice and mannerisms impossible to watch he hasn't a clue what he's talking about.

Fixer, what is it that made you believe he had the knowledge to make a worthwhile recommendation?

Comment

Working...
                    X