Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• " Performance in the absence of opposition"

"Performance in the absence of opposition does NOT equal proficiency."

Makes me think of the Mike Tyson quote, "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V324tFHECIE
    "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Learning the choreography at the studio, alone is probably easy for some. I have two left feet so... Keeping up with the beat when someone's punching you in the dick and biting your face, not so much.
    Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

Training is choreography too.
      If all one does is pay to go to training classes, there are many, "hobbyests" in that world as well.
      Your blathering continues to be boring...
      Originally posted by mjkeat;
      The gun you have is better than the gun you don't.

Comment

So this issue isn't confused, it's not about only doing only one thing but rather about doing the necessary things

We don't know what our fight will be, how it will start or how it will evolve

If you only spar or do FOF and never hit the pads or shoot cardboard your technique will quickly deteriorate, you will become sloppy

If you only hit the pads or shoot cardboard and never spar or do FOF you will never learn the critical elements of distance and timing

For those of us that have broken the 50 year old mark we need cardio exercise, it's not uncommon for people of advanced age to have high stress induced heart attacks

A high stress event such as a self defense incident can send the heart rate to 200 bpm

Successfully defending yourself and then dying from a heart attack isn't a win

If our self defense incident starts empty hand as it often does but we lack the requisite skills and physical strength to respond effectively all our vaunted shooting skill will mean nothing

If during our fight our brachial artery is severed (hands and arms get shot a lot, one FOF session will prove that) and we don't have the necessary tools or ability to fix the problem and bleed out then all the time spent developing our empty hand and firearms skills will have been for nothing

Self defense training and practice is not about doing the things we like to do but rather it's about doing the things we need to do
        Last edited by ricco; 06-02-2019, 15:45.
        "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

Working...
        X