243 question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 243 question

i just bought a new unloader in the form of a ruger predator 243, does anyone reload for one of these trying to determine what powder to start with, I have varget 4064 4831sc 4895 and 4350. And if someone loads for one of these what bullets are you getting good results with looking to run out to 1K with it
    Going to McDonalds for a salad is like going to a hooker for a hug

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Telum
    Tires are like condoms; they are made of rubber, they prevent accidents, and we all want to put on a bigger size than we really need.

I load for 243, primarily for shooting deer and coyotes though. I use an 85-95 grain bullet with IMR 4350 and have gotten great results with accuracy and terminal performance. I prefer nosler bullets for my applications.

if I were going to try to stretch a 243 to 1K and your twist rate is fast enough, I would probably opt for 107 smk or the 105 amax (or ELD if they make those now) bullets. Personally, since I like 4350 I would start with that and see what kind of results I could get.

Comment

I have a Ruger RPR in .243 with a 1:7.7 twist and routinely load the long Berger 105 grainers using IMR 4831 for a little over 3150 FPS in the RPRs 26" barrel.

As ckfarris says, you'r issue is going to be your twist rate in your rifle, which while perfectly adequate for the hunting 100s and 105s is on the slow side for the high BC target bullets. I've had very good luck with IMR 4350 win .243 with deer loads, but prefer 4831 to get the most MV out of my RPRs 26" barrel.

The Berger site has a cool twist calculator:

http://www.bergerbullets.com/products/hunting-bullets/

That will give you an idea of what stability you'll be looking at based on MV, twist and bullet.

Chuck
      homo homini lupus est

Comment

Ok thanks guys my plan is to use this for dual purpose long range target shooting and for deer/varmint hunting. I don't think this rifle will stabilize the 105's and up since it's a 1:9 twist. Looks like I should get some IMR 4350 and go from there I have a bunch of 95's and some 85's so I will start there. Again thanks for the info.

Quote:
        Tires are like condoms; they are made of rubber, they prevent accidents, and we all want to put on a bigger size than we really need.

Comment

The other thing to take a look at is your optic, for my "precision" rifles I use Mil DOT reticles, with target turrets. Makes it much, much easier to shift from TGT to TGT or adjust for wind once you're got your rifles dope. Most scopes of this type are large & heavy and not what I'd normally mount on a deer rifle.

Chuck
          homo homini lupus est

Comment

Very true on scope selection I would say it will be more of a deer rifle than a target rifle. It will only be a target rifle for the fun of seeing if I can get it out to 1K.

Quote:

Comment

So I have settled on a powde which happens to be varget I'm getting speeds of 2800 fps with Nosler 95 gr bt is this speed fast enough to go 1000 or do I need to push it a little bit harder

Quote:

Comment

Just me, but I'd go for a little more speed...and a heavier bullet with the highest BC I can get. For instance the Nosler 95 BT is at .376 my 105 Bergers are at .536.

Big questions are how does it group, at what distance and how do your chrono stats look??

I try to test groups at the furthest distance I can and also shoot for the lowest standard deviations (SD) I can in my loads. A high extreme spread and SD translates into vertical stringing downrange.

Chuck
                homo homini lupus est

Comment

Working...
                X