Need a quick update on modern reloading gear

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a quick update on modern reloading gear

okay. My ancient Bair press has finally warped so far out of alignment I don't think it's reliable any more. Crunched 5 of 50 cases through serious misalignment when I didn't press sideways on the ram hard enough. So,it's new press time. I was looking at the RCBS rock chucker and, in the description of dies used makes a reference to bushing changes. Does this use the same bushings as Hornady LnL or is there something else out there I know not of? Is there a stronger more reliable press (single stage) than the RCBS? Hoping to find something under 250. Already have a progressive -- just looking for a single stage to load 30-06 and other rifle rounds on.

Rockchucker is the industry standard for single stage. You can use quick change bushings, but it is the standard thread
    01/06 FFL $15 transfers and guns near wholesale

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties. And not to Democrats alone do I make this appeal, but to all who love these great and true principles~ Abe Lincoln

Comment

The LNL bushings and the RCBS are both proprietary and not compatible with each other right out of the box if that is your question.

Hornady sells an insert kit specifically for replacing the screw-in bushing in the RCBS presses so you can use the Hornady LNL bushing on and RCBS machine. The GOOD news is that the bushing conversion kit costs no more than a set of the quick change bushings by themselves. In fact, I bought an RCBS conversion just for the QC bushings because it came up cheaper during a sale at Cabelas.

I suspect they keep the price point down on the conversion kit because they're crazy like a fox about getting RCBS hounds to start using LNL accessories.

As far as robustness goes: Like WA said, I don't think anything is more robust than the RCBS single stage machines. Some seem to be equally robust but that's RCBS's claim to fame. Redding has a pretty good reputation for having lots of weight on the frame as well but seeing a redding is a rarity these days.
      Last edited by fixxer; 08-07-2017, 16:01.
      For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
      And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
      And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
      And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!
      -Lord Byron (=5 lines)

Comment

For what you're looking for I'd also vote RCBS.

I've had the same Rockchucker sin "75" when I started reloading as a 15 year old, it's still going strong. Years back I bought a Redding Ultra-Mag because I was in the process of forming 500 pieces of match brass for a wildcat cartridge and it was a PITA with my old Rockchucker. The Redding cruised through it.

I've never looked at converting to Hornady LNL, and at this point based on sheer number of calibers I load for I probably won't.

Attached pic of a "rare" Redding:

; ^ )

Chuck
        homo homini lupus est

Comment

Thanks all for your thoughts.

Comment

Back about 1974 or so, I happily sold my 6-month-old RockChucker and bought a Forster Co-Ax. Never regretted that decision.

Comment

Originally posted by noylj View Post
              Back about 1974 or so, I happily sold my 6-month-old RockChucker and bought a Forster Co-Ax. Never regretted that decision.
              Got the Forster co-ax. Once I got past the "that's not how RCBS does it" and set it up and tried it. Test run of 10 30-06. Not a single failed round that was other than operator error. Not the cheapest single stage, but it may be worth it. I'll let you know in a decade or so.

Comment

There may well be a press "stronger" than the standard Rockchucker, but the Rockchucker is sufficiently strong (same with all the O-frame presses) that it is a distinction that fails to matter.

The only things that have any "need" to be "stronger" are the .50BMG-capable presses.

All of the "iron" O-frame presses are rated for bullet swaging IIRC, that is the meanest thing you can do to a press (short of sizing .50BMG).

I have loaded a LOT of .308W on a little 1989 Lee Challenger before I finally retired it after over 2 decades for a Lyman Crusher II.
                The Lee broke 2 sets of links (aluminum) in that 2+ decades, the press is still "square".

The only thing the big heavy Crusher does "better" (other than not break steel links) is the Lee's very tiny footprint on the bench lets it squirm around a bit full-length sizing.
                The Lyman's larger bolts, and much wider spreading, immobilizes the press.
                My standing offer for people's "old" MRE's, $1 each for dark brown bags. $12/case $2 each for the sand tan bags (newer). $24/case
                MAYBE, if they are 2010 and newer, I give you $2.50 each....... generosity.50 cents each for loose heaters. Where's those highlight video links mjkeat???????

Comment

I've got a hand-me-down Rockchucker (belonged to my stepdad before it came to me). I'm assuming the vintage was somewhere around early-80's or so. Since I got back into reloading a couple of years ago, I've run several thousand rounds of 9mm and 45 ACP through it, and it hasn't burped once unless I'd done something stupid to cause it.

I'm starting rifle now, and just went through resizing and depriming 100 rounds of 300 AAC. I found out pretty quickly that, while lubing cases when doing straight pistol calibers is optional, it is indeed a requirement when doing necked rifle rounds. Even if the neck is small.

One of the things to remember is that there's probably more difference in how dies operate than in how the press operates. Those 300 AAC dies are the first non-RCBS dies I've ever owned, and getting them set up was a different experience. However, it looks like the dies are doing a good job. I'll be able to tell once I get the bullets loaded.

Bri
                  Carrying a 1911 every day is like using ankle weights for yer beer belly.

Comment

Working...
                  X