Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Powder coating bullets, local experience?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powder coating bullets, local experience?

Iím about to consider thinking about doing some bullet casting. Have read lots of opinions on powder coating cast bullets, opinions ranging from complete waste of time to canít live without it. Anyone on the list try powder coating and what was your experience? Bullet sizing before or after coating? Or do you just run it as the mold throws it out?

Cast bullets often are nor round. A quality mold will be concentric but particularly before many bullets have been cast at one sitting the mold will change dimensions as teh metal heats non-uniformly.
    So sizing a bullet before it is coated serves the purpose of at least making it round..

Bullets can be coated with polymers, Teflon, nylon or other materials. I am not familiar with "powder coating" bullets which is as far as I know a static electrical charge to direct the deposition of a powder that has the opposite charge. Then it is baked to liquefy the powder which then hardens into a seamless coating.

I've heard of many kinds of coatings. Money and time probably determine the effectiveness.
    The people think the Constitution protects their rights; But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    If your religion says suicide and murder are wrong; Aren't you doing both if you are not prepared to defend your life and the lives of others?
    I am not a lawyer, but I have personal opinions.

Comment

• digger
      digger commented
      Editing a comment
      I appreciate the thoughts, Jim. Money and time are definitely considerations, so I may spend a year or two reading the cast boolets list.

Some additional advice.
    Get a copy of The Lyman Cast Bullets Handbook.
    The original book actually showed details for the hundreds of the bullets that Lyman used to offer as stock items. Lyman would make a bullet to custom order too.

The latest book is the 4th edition and it's available from many dealers or on-line.

It is even available "free" by download
    Searches related to lyman cast bullet handbook

lyman cast bullet handbook pdf
    lyman cast bullet handbook 3rd edition
    lyman cast bullet handbook 3rd edition download
    lyman cast bullet handbook 4th edition pdf download

lyman cast bullet handbook 4th edition free download
    lyman cast bullet handbook 3rd edition pdf
    lyman cast bullet handbook 2nd edition
    lyman cast bullet reloading data

Last edited by Jim Macklin; 07-06-2018, 03:43.
    The people think the Constitution protects their rights; But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    If your religion says suicide and murder are wrong; Aren't you doing both if you are not prepared to defend your life and the lives of others?
    I am not a lawyer, but I have personal opinions.

Comment

Since you're not getting any bites of people here with first hand experience, maybe this will help. I was at Finley hobbies a couple years ago talking about this. The son is running the store now and is very affable guy. He was showing me some ammo that he cast and powder coated black and some recovered bullets. I know he does it. That phone # is (316) 683-4221. Nice folks there. Hours are a little odd but that's because they have a life outside of running the store. He's into IDPA and his folks are into trap shooting. I wish I could remember his name off the top of my head. I need to stop by and support them a little next time I'm in the area. Pro-gunners and all.
      For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
      And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
      And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
      And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!
      -Lord Byron (=5 lines)

Comment

Thanks fixxer. I was at Finleyís just a few weeks ago and never thought to ask. Now I have an excuse to go back!

Comment

Several of the folks at The Handloader's Bench forum powder coat, and swear by it like it's the best thing since bacon.

I would wager a good number of people over on the Castboolits forum also powder coat,

Myself I have no experience and thus no opinion.
          Gone. Good riddance.
          Watch the **** storm continue without me.

Comment

I haven't powder coated any of my own bullets yet but I shoot a lot of coated bullets from Missouri Bullets. They produce good bullets that shoot great in my 9mm and my 10mm Glocks. They also sell the coating material that they use. You can also get powder coating materials at other places that will work fine.

Comment

Working...
            X