147grn 9mm for CZ75

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 147grn 9mm for CZ75

I'm attempting to load 147s for my new CZ75 "Accu-Shadow" Lite from CZ Custom and running into issues due to the short throat.

Prior to this my shortest throated pistol was my Walther PPQs and I've managed to make several ogive profiles work. The new CZ though is a PITA as I have to seat short enough that I'm running into buckling brass issues.

I've contacted several smiths (known for throating CZs) about reaming the throat, but none are doing it now due to the nitriding and reamer wear/damage.

Do any of you have success loading 147s for your CZ?? IF so what make bullets?
    The Lion Does Not Turn Around When the Small Dog Barks

Which is a nice way of saying I don't interact with Azzclowns..........

Talked to a buddy who likes and shoots CZ. His is reamed for this very reason.
    "Once we have a war there is only one thing to do. It must be won. For defeat brings worse things than any that can ever happen in war." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by jagdawg View Post
      Talked to a buddy who likes and shoots CZ. His is reamed for this very reason.
      That was my preferred COA...now I'm looking for a profile that will work. IF your buddy knows of someone still doing it, please ask him who he used!

Comment

A short throated G5 Glock has me transitioning to 124 grain bullets. At least it's not just me.
        NRA Life Member
        Rest in Peace, Joseph Wilcox

Comment

Originally posted by Bat Rastard View Post
          A short throated G5 Glock has me transitioning to 124 grain bullets. At least it's not just me.
          Yup, apparently we're in the same boat....from the RMR website:

Description

This bullet requires a seating depth minimum OAL of about 1.15? to chamber reliably in most handguns when loading 9mm. Most reloading manuals will specify a 1.13? for a flat nose 147 and we’ve found that it works well in our guns. However, there are some handguns that have a very short leade that will not allow for the bullet to be seated that long. Glock Gen 5’s and CZ pistols are known for their short leades and this bullet may not work for them. There are no issues with loading these for all other Glock models. If you are one of the CZ or Glock Gen 5 owners who has one of these please feel free to contact the manufacturer and chew them out for making their barrels so difficult.

https://www.rmrbullets.com/shop/rmr-...e-bullets-new/

Comment

Maybe stupid questions, but:
            Have you talked to CZC?
            You have done a plunk test to be sure the issue is the bullet hitting the lede/throat/rifling, and not case bulge where the bullet pushes the case out due to seating crooked?
            Have you tried any 135gn FMJ bullets? They may give close to the same recoil impulse, I don't know.
            I have loaded many 147gn bullets in my CZ75, but it was made in Czechoslovakia under USSR rule. Most accurate 9x19 I have, but NOT with 147gn bullets.

Comment

Originally posted by noylj View Post
              Maybe stupid questions, but:
              Have you talked to CZC?
              You have done a plunk test to be sure the issue is the bullet hitting the lede/throat/rifling, and not case bulge where the bullet pushes the case out due to seating crooked?
              Have you tried any 135gn FMJ bullets? They may give close to the same recoil impulse, I don't know.
              I have loaded many 147gn bullets in my CZ75, but it was made in Czechoslovakia under USSR rule. Most accurate 9x19 I have, but NOT with 147gn bullets.
              Not a stupid question at all....to give some background I currently reload for nine 9mms; HK(s), S&W(s), Walther(s) and a Colt 9mm AR. The CZ has the shortest throat of them all. I'm loading on a Dillon 650 using Dillon dies. I go through about 20-25K in 9mm a year and this is the 1st bullet I've had this issue with. Due to this particular bullet profile RMR 146 RN FMJ, it needs to be seated very deep to "plunk" in the CZ and allow the loaded round to spin freely in the chamber. When I load deep enough to "plunk" I get about 7-10 rds per 100 that will bulge the case right at the base of the bullet. This happens with mixed headstamps: Win, Speer, military, RP and FC. For QC I'm using the CZ barrel held in a small vice to "plunk" test every round before boxing.......it's truly a PITA.

I have found two 147s so far, that will "plunk" at 1.130+ OAL, both have a different ogive than the FMJs in question. I've got 1000 of the RMRs loaded and another 1000 to load. I'm simply going to load the rest up and use them in my other 9mms. I made the same post on several other gun boards and now have some recommendations for additional bullets to try. Not a big dceal really, but I'd really prefer fixing the throat.

I actually Emailed CZ...their solution is to try and find a bullet that works or give up on 147s. Since I have a bunch of other 9mms that 147s work in, I'd rather stay with that weight and find one that works.

Comment

It could be that your RN is really a 1 radius (very spherical) so it CAN'T go into the barrel too far before contacting the lede/rifling. If things are as you say, then you need a different bullet or you need to have the free bore lengthened.
                For those that want to know:
                Plunk Testing:
                The solution to chambering problems is to determine the cause:
                Take the barrel out of the gun. Drop rounds in until you find one that won't chamber. Take that round and "paint" the bullet and case black with Magic Marker or other marker. Drop round in barrel (or gage) and rotate it back-and-forth a few times.
                Remove and inspect the round:
                1) Scratches in the ink on bullet--COL is too long
                2) Scratches in the ink on edge of the case mouth--insufficient crimp
                3) Scratches in the ink just below the case mouth--too much crimp, you're crushing the case
                4) Scratches in the ink on case at base of bullet--bullet seated crooked due to insufficient case expansion (not case mouth flare) or improper seating stem fit
                5) Scratches in the ink on case just above extractor groove--case bulge not removed during sizing. May need a bulge buster.
                I tried to post pictures, but, apparently, I'm not authorized...

Comment

Working...
                X