Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anyone in Wichita set up to chop 223 brass to make 300 Blackout?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone in Wichita set up to chop 223 brass to make 300 Blackout?

If you are, would you consider letting me chop 101 pieces of 243 to convert to 6.5 Creedmoor?
    NRA Life Member
    Rest in Peace, Joseph Wilcox

I don't live in ICT, but I do have little Harbor freight chop saw that I use to make 223/556 into 300blk.

Do you just want the shoulders cut off so you can resize, form and trim to length or are you looking for some sort of jig that is made specifically for 6.5Cm?

If you just want it cut to a specific length, you can send it to me and I can do that. I can also find the taper angle of 243, make a little v-block with said taper and cut it as square as possible. It might take me a little time to machine the v-block for that taper but I'd be happy to do it if you have no other options. Then I'd have a good V-block for me to do my own after that, since I also shoot 6.5CM and happen to reload.
    Last edited by fixxer; 10-08-2019, 14:08.
    For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!
    -Lord Byron (=5 lines)

Comment

Gracious offer Fixxer, thank you.
      I used a band saw, and got it done. 99 out of the 101 pieces were all within .015" of each other. 2 were shorter than I wanted, but I think after forming, and final trim, on proper trimming equipment, they will be okay.
      This project went better than i thought it would!
      NRA Life Member

Comment

Cut short, size to correct size and do a new neck. Neck reaming before sizing seems like a good idea because the neck walls will bet thick.
        Swage or ream primer pockets. A file-trim die seems like a good toll rather than using a conventional trimming lathe.
        Be sure to properly lube the cases for forming. Then wash and tumble before priming.

The people think the Constitution protects their rights; But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
        If your religion says suicide and murder are wrong; Aren't you doing both if you are not prepared to defend your life and the lives of others?
        I am not a lawyer, but I have personal opinions.

Comment

Should I weigh the powder when I load them?
          NRA Life Member

Comment

Originally posted by Bat Rastard View Post
            Should I weigh the powder when I load them?
            If you use 4831 or 4350.
            If you talcum powder???

Seriously, yes.

NOTE:
            Some answers seem condescending because it must be assumed that some reader won't know the details of the basic.
            The people think the Constitution protects their rights; But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
            If your religion says suicide and murder are wrong; Aren't you doing both if you are not prepared to defend your life and the lives of others?
            I am not a lawyer, but I have personal opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bat Rastard View Post
              Gracious offer Fixxer, thank you.
              I used a band saw, and got it done. 99 out of the 101 pieces were all within .015" of each other. 2 were shorter than I wanted, but I think after forming, and final trim, on proper trimming equipment, they will be okay.
              This project went better than i thought it would!
              Good deal.
              FWIW, I pullled the SAMMI specs of the 243, figured out the taper by the ol" subraction and rise over run. It come up to something really low like .09 degrees. Once you divide that in half again for registering the piece on one side; it's not even worth the effort... .0045 degrees. LOL Why bother?

Cool thing about bandsaws is that they have enough teeth to avoid loading up with brass, unlike abrasion cutters. I have to dress the edge often with the little mini-chop saw I use when making 300blk. I have a porta-ban that I'm fabricating a quick release mini-table attachment for this reason. You can't say enough about bandsaws. They're just awesome to have in general.
              For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
              And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
              And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
              And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!
              -Lord Byron (=5 lines)

Comment

Working...
              X