Chiappa M1 Carbine 22 Long Rifle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chiappa M1 Carbine 22 Long Rifle

Some of you heard some negative things about this carbine and expressed your misgivings here.

http://www.ksccw.com/forum/the-range...-in-22-rimfire

And to be honest, I had a few fears concerning this carbine as well, and they, along with the shortage of 22 rimfire caused me to not shoot this gun until today.

First, a descriptiion of the gun itself. It is a blowback rifle (carbine actually) in 22 Long Rifle that very closely resembles the Carbine, US, Caliber 30, M1. It even has the pseudo bayonet lug on it. I should say that it is the Standard M1 Carbine and not the folding-stock paratrooper's model, (the M1A1).

Like many blowback operated 22's, this gun is very picky about the type of ammo it likes. At first, I tried the Winchester and they jammed more often than not, although to be fair, I just tried 20 of them and then switched to Remington, which was much more reliable. Still not quite perfect, but much better than the Winchesters that I loaded and kept in the magazines for more than four years.

Today, I finally tried it out and except for the Winchesters that had in the mags, the function-firing went well. I didn't bench test ittoday, although I likely will soon just to see what I and the carbine can do. Loading the rounds into the magazines was actually pretty easy and once I got the hang of it went fairly fast. Inserting the loaded magazines into gun was a bit tricky, but once I figured out how to do it, they went in smoothly. (The bolt has to be held to the rear, unless you don't load it completely)

Functioning was not flawless, but keep in mind that the carbine is brand-new in terms of actual use and it still has to be broken in.

In short this little gun shows promise and if it breaks in well, I'll enjoy the heck out of it.
    Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.
    The Pale Horse available on Amazon for your digital reader.

Here is a picture from the chiappa website.
    Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.

Comment

Did you have fun, if you did, you win
      "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

A hanger-outer at a LGS has a couple of them, says he has had good functioning with his---didn't ask him about the gun's ammo preferences. He kept talking about it being 'adequately accurate'; after several times, I finally asked him to define 'adequately accurate'. He says it's easily minute-of-pop-can at 50 yards, with iron sights. I'd like to have one, just for fun, but can't convince myself I 'need' another .22 (sorry to use the 'N' word that way).

They do have a 9mm carbine also, pretty much identical to the .22 except for caliber. The only guy I'm familiar with having one really likes his. Could maybe talk meself into one of those.

Keep us posted, G. I'm curious about it with a scope attached. Ace2
        Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
          A hanger-outer at a LGS has a couple of them, says he has had good functioning with his---didn't ask him about the gun's ammo preferences. He kept talking about it being 'adequately accurate'; after several times, I finally asked him to define 'adequately accurate'. He says it's easily minute-of-pop-can at 50 yards, with iron sights. I'd like to have one, just for fun, but can't convince myself I 'need' another .22 (sorry to use the 'N' word that way).

They do have a 9mm carbine also, pretty much identical to the .22 except for caliber. The only guy I'm familiar with having one really likes his. Could maybe talk meself into one of those.

Keep us posted, G. I'm curious about it with a scope attached. Ace2
          I'll happily keep you all posted on how I do with it, but as Macklin will tell you, I'm not overly fond of optics on guns. I'm not ruling it out, you understand, but for some reason (perhaps Macklin has it right here and the wobble is magnified and that throws me off) I have never been too good with scopes on guns.

And ricco, it was a blast.

Comment

Here is a better picture of it.

Comment

OK, if you won't try a scope, just for me, maybe I'll hint real hard and see if Momma will get me one for Christmas, then find out for myself.

I don't mind open sights, but have trouble quickly acquiring a picture with peeps. They're great, in my experience, if I have time to settle in and get the eye focused properly; but for something like, say, running rabbits or rolling hedge balls, they mess me up. Scopes just make it easier for me to be more precise---and help a lot in lower-light conditions, like early morning, evening, or in the shady timber. Haven't been able to adapt to red-dot sights, but if I had time to shoot more (or just would shoot more), I think I could learn.

Simple solution to the wobble problem; just don't wobble. Ace2
              Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

Yeah, right, ace. Everyone wobbles, I just do it worse than most.

Just ordered five more magazines from Midway for it, and am looking at a replica sling and oiler for it as well. I'll watch on youtube and see if a demonstration of the sling is on there as I understand that proper use of a sling can really help marksmanship.

Comment

Working...
                X