X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAR on Mini-14 Tactical

From the Chat Section:
    Originally posted by gerhard1
    The board's been dealing with a lot of heavy stuff lately so I thought I'd bring up a happy (or happier) subject.

Been thinking about picking up one of these.

No real need for it, but it looks like a cool rifle.

Thoughts?
    I didn't do well with it as I simply couldn't get a good group even from 25 yards or so shooting from a rest. The shots were well-oriented elevation wise, but they were scattered all over the target laterally. I couldn't figure this out as I usually do well with peep sights, then I noticed that the rear sight was moving sideways as I was shooting. I didn't have the right wrench to fix it but I will take the Allen wrench with me next time I shoot it. What probably happened was the techie at the factory did not tighten one screw.and this allowed the lateral movement.

About 110 223 rounds went downrange and I used some old South African 5.56 mm surplus and some Norinco from my old dealer's stock. I had some old USA brand 30-round mags and a couple of old 30-round Ramline polymers and the two 20-round factory mags that came with the rifle. Functioning was flawless with all of the mags except there was a few cases when the bolt was slow to return. Perhaps a good idea would be to stick with the factory mags until the rifle is more broken in.

Bump-firing was tried, but no joy. I couldn't get it to function that way. Still, despite the issue with the rear sight it seems to be a robust, well-made rifle.

So, next time I take her out, I take the Allen wrench and a few orange sticky-dots, some of the old Norinco and just the two 20-round factory mags.

BTW, is the propellent powder ammonia based? It sure smells like it. It stinks.

All-in-all, I think it will be a good rifle once I get that rear sight problem taken care of. And it is a lot of fun.
    Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.
    The Pale Horse available on Amazon for your digital reader.
    I don't know why I'm better with revolvers, keat so please stop asking.

I love the looks of the mini14 the wood and blued steel of the one I was around looked great and was thinking about buying one. Then about 15 years ago I went shooting with my Colt A2 AR-15 match rifle one of the guns there was a mini 14 and the third rifle in 223 was a older SP1 A1 style AR. All three guns function fine with no malfunctions.

Checked zero at 100yds and all three shot good groups hitting paper no problems. We then moved out to 800 yards and the ARs could still get 9 out of 10 hits on a large steel with a hot or cold barrel. The mini 14 could only hit the steel with a cold barrel after three shots the barrel would heat up and miss. We traded guns and let each other shoot each gun with the mini only able to hit the steel with a cold barrel. My A2 match with its heavy barrel was great off a sand bag on the bench. We could hit the steel with very few misses even with a hot barrel shooting 30rd strings. I have no idea what ammo I was using but more then likely it was something inexpensive.

We talked about the guns and all agreed the mini 14 in 223 was a nice gun but even the SP1 with a light weight barrel out preformed the Ruger by a wide margin. It could have been the gun or just the barrel but I never did buy one.

Just my 2 cents and I would like to do the test again with a different Ruger but I must admit my eyes would be a problem for me using peep sights out to 800yds.

Comment

Found a 5/64" Allen wrench and tightened the rear sight. I'll have to see what it can do now
      Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.

Comment

In the real world, how often would we expect to use the Mini, or any 5.56/.223, at 600-700-800 yards? Being able to hit at that range with that round would be fun, but at what point would such a light bullet be more of an irritant to a living target than a threat to life? Not being snarky, it's a serious question. I tip my hat to youse guys/gals who can shoot that far and actually hit--even occasionally--what you want to, regardless of caliber. I'd have to hire somebody to see the target beyond about 300 yards.

Also, still kinda on topic, just curious what y'all's expectations would be for the caliber, for whatever purpose. With my AR, the last time I shot it so far (distance), was minute of water bottle out to ~250 yards, with a frequent hit at ~300 holding just over the cap---but that was a good day, and a solid rest. Enough to make a coyote unhappy at any range I'd care to shoot at one. Figure I could make a bad guy unhappy, too; just wouldn't be able to pick a particular button on his shirt. Ace2
        Last edited by Ace; 11-17-2017, 00:37.
        Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
          In the real world, how often would we expect to use the Mini, or any 5.56/.223, at 600-700-800 yards? Being able to hit at that range with that round would be fun, but at what point would such a light bullet be more of an irritant to a living target than a threat to life? Not being snarky, it's a serious question. I tip my hat to youse guys/gals who can shoot that far and actually hit--even occasionally--what you want to, regardless of caliber. I'd have to hire somebody to see the target beyond about 300 yards.

Also, still kinda on topic, just curious what y'all's expectations would be for the caliber, for whatever purpose. With my AR, the last time I shot it so far (distance), was minute of water bottle out to ~250 yards, with a frequent hit at ~300 holding just over the cap---but that was a good day, and a solid rest. Enough to make a coyote unhappy at any range I'd care to shoot at one. Figure I could make a bad guy unhappy, too; just wouldn't be able to pick a particular button on his shirt. Ace2
          Good point Ace. The ranges at which I'd expect to use this (or any, for that matter) rifle are at max 100-150 yards. Beyond that, I can't hit anything unless it is the size of a building. If I get good enough I have rifles in 308 that I could use. But that won't be for quite a while.

Comment

well the Mini14 ranch rifle is called a ranch rifle for a reason I guess. If it was reliably accurate at 800yds it would be called the Mini14 Sniper Rifle! They are nice looking rifles for sure. I'd like to have one someday but the cabinet is full. Those pesky ARs take up a lot of room! LOL I am not sure I could hit anything at 100yds with peeps let alone 800 yds.
            I'm probably on the list. Don't laugh. So are you!
            Multi-Tasking is great until you actually have to accomplish something.
            I quit playing by other peoples rules. They are not written with my best interests in mind.

Comment

Well, no doubt you could hit something, heck, so could I; the question would be whether it was what I wanted to hit. Ace2

Comment

I am a fortunate man. I posted about this rifle on the Okie forum and someone there just sent me five near-new 20-round factory mags for the grand total of $80. I just got them today and the appear to be in great shape.

Like I say, nearly new for $16 apiece. A great deal!

Comment

I've heard Okies are nice folks. Ace2

Comment

Got back a while ago from shooting my -14 and this time when I bump-fired the rifle, it by golly bump-fired. Then after that silliness, I settled down and started to sight it in. I think I have it centered laterally now and shooting from a rest, with iron sights the group size was acceptably small even it it was about an inch or below POA.

One thing I noticed was a couple of jams and a few FTF's, but I don't know if these were mag-related or not.

In any event, it was fun, especially the bump-firing.

Comment

Here's hickok45 doing a tactical walk with his mini-14.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6lMv9ymuD4

His is blue and mine is stainless.

Comment

I had one back in the mid 80s while I was in college and on an anti-AR kick.

It was "ok" for what it was, but I lost interest after a short period. Wasn't as accurate as most of my rifles and wasn't as challenging as a handgun. IMHO it's a knitch type gun that's great for under 200 yards or a truck gun type set-up.

The Lion Does Not Turn Around When the Small Dog Barks

Comment

Didn't they, in the late '90's/early 2000's, 'fix' the Minis and they're supposed to be much more accurate? Or am I misremembering? Ace2

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                            Didn't they, in the late '90's/early 2000's, 'fix' the Minis and they're supposed to be much more accurate? Or am I misremembering? Ace2
                            According to this, it was around 2005 or so:

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/edito..._071807/83540#

and:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...ruger-mini-14/

2. The latest Minis are more accurate.
                            The Mini has long suffered from a reputation among many users for poor accuracy. Theories abound as to why that is the case: My own is that the considerable mass of the operating slide impacts harshly against the gas block, which is bolted directly to the relatively thin barrel, not allowing the barrel to return to its precise point of rest between shots. But in 2005, Ruger retooled the Mini-14 production line and most shooters agree that, beginning with the 580-prefix series guns made since then, shooting 2" groups at 100 yds. is not out of the question. Again, it may come as a surprise to some, but not everyone needs a half-m.o.a.-capable rifle. Many tasks just donít require that level of accuracy. In fact, most hunting and self-defense situations are in that category. Also, my experience is that accuracy and reliability in semi-automatic rifle actions is usually inversely proportional. So, anything that the Mini lacks in the way of accuracy is, practically speaking, likely more than made up for in reliability and cleanliness of operation and in lack of ammunition sensitivity.
                            Apparently the "mini-14 fans" call the newer more accurate ones 583 series cause that's the serial range when they made the improvements.
                            The Lion Does Not Turn Around When the Small Dog Barks

Comment

Working...
                            X