X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S&W Model 986

Originally posted by gerhard1
    Here is a picture from the S&W website

It just arrived and the initial impression was mixed. First, the one negative is that the action is surprisingly rough. It is a new gun and it has to be broken in, but I was expecting a smoother out of the box action.

It was furnished with two 7-round moon-clips and upon loading them, I found them easy to insert into the cylinder. I expect my BMT Equipped loading tool to arrive today and when it does, I'll take the 986 out to my range (weather permitting) along with the rest of the WWB 100-round boxI got at WallyWorld some time back.

The 986 is a 7-shot L-frame with a 5"-barrel in 9x19 mm (9 mm Luger) and is DA/SA. It has a titanium cylinder, and comes with a Hogue Monogrip, but one thing that I am thinking of is replacing the Monogrip with a Bantam.

I expect that the recoil will be very manageable and it will wear itself in soon and be as smooth as are my other L-frames.

I'm looking forward to shooting it, and I expect that Midway will ship the moon-clips I recently ordered today
    Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.
    The Pale Horse available on Amazon for your digital reader.
    I don't know why I'm better with revolvers, keat so please stop asking.

I could see that as a carry gun, once the grip is smoothed over. Not a fan of finger grooves. Aesthetically, I like the old ejector rod shrouds better than this 'angled' design, but it certainly isn't a deal breaker.
    Congrats on the new toy! Ace2
    Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

As I type this, my 986 is soaking in Hoppe's and is a bit smoother than it was before this morning. I put a few more than 70 rounds downrange this morning before the exasperation of loading the moon clips every time got to me. The revolver was furnished with two 7-round moon clips and I have 32 more on the way from Midway but they won't be here until Monday at the earliest, so I am stuck with just the two. When they get here, I think I'll enjoy shooting it a lot more, as the clips can be loaded while I watch TV.. The shooting part was fine, just that loading the clips was a pain the butt.

The revolver is a seven-shot L-frame in 9 mm Luger (or Parabellum, or whatever your fancy happens to be) with a titanium cylinder. The barrel length is 5" and like in the picture above, it is a slab-sided affair with the extractor rod housing coming to a taper. Personally, I wold have preferred it being more like the traditional L-frame set-up with the barrel rounded and the under-lug coming to the muzzle, but that's just my opinion.

My cousin's grandson was there tending to his livestock and I had him shoot it as well. He's more into rifles, but I think he liked shooting it.

At first, there were a few misfires, but I think that will be taken care of with the break-in process. Like I say, the action was very rough at first, but I think it is starting to smooth out now that a few actual rounds have been shot through it.

Close-range accuracy was very adequate and ricco, you were right; the recoil was very easy to handle.

Is this a good carry gun? For someone such as me, who does his best with revolvers, I'd say 'yes'. For someone who likes the 1911, such as Oldstuffer, or for a XD-person such as dirk, or a dedicated Glock person, I'd tell them to stick with what they have and are best with.

However, I am really looking forward to getting those moon clips from Midway.

One thing I am thinking of is changing the grips to Hogue bantams, but I haven't quite made up my mind on that.
      Last edited by gerhard1; 03-01-2018, 16:20.
      Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.

Comment

What kind of misfires?

BTW, I trusted my life to a Smith revolver when I worked the liquor store.
        Last edited by Not so big Tom; 03-02-2018, 01:23.
        Originally posted by kscardsfan
        Grain of salt hell, I'm taking it with a salt block from the feed store. Thats a big bunch of crap there.

QUOTE=mjkeat;n1101496]****ing stupid.[/QUOTE]

Comment

I'm also curious as to the type of misfires?

I can deal with smoothing an action out, misfires, not so much.

Very, very cool gun, if it weren't for the caliber I think it'd make a heck of a revolver for IDPA. I also understand the allure of the 9mm revolver, especially for those that don't reload. Cheap practice and slightly better ballistics than the .38SPCL. As for a carry gun? Not for me, 35 oz unloaded for 7 rds of 9mm isn't something I'd be willing to tote to and fro.
          The Lion Does Not Turn Around When the Small Dog Barks

Comment

Originally posted by Not so big Tom View Post
            What kind of misfires?

BTW, I trusted my life to a Smith revolver when I worked the liquor store.
            They looked to me like they were light hammer strikes. I notice that my cousin had a couple and then I had one. This was early in the session, and did not happen again. Anyway, when the order arrives from Midway, I'll load a bunch of them up and see if that helps. I suspect, (or perhaps 'hope' might be more accurate) that they resulted from chips left from burrs at the factory.

Comment

First 'modification' if I might use that term: I cut out the bottom of a Pachmayr Compac grip and put it on the 986. I left the Hogue attachment clip on in order to accommodate a lanyard screw. This something I have done with other RB S&W revolvers.

Comment

Hopefully later today, I'll be taking delivery of about 30 or so moon clips so I can start to seriously shoot my 986. After an aggravating week of delays, they are finally scheduled to get here this afternoon. I'm not holding my breath however, due to a jaded cynicism of anything having to do with government.

Then tomorrow I'll be getting 30 more, this time directly from Wilson Combat. My BMT Equipped loading tool is going to kept busy.

Comment

The Ranch Products moon clips for the 986 arrived yesterday and were loaded up from my ample supply of WWB 9 mm from WallyWorld, so today I put 126 rounds through the revolver. There were a few hiccups as there were three FTF's due to light hammer strikes early in the session. One likely explanation could be that the revolver is still new and is not fully broken in as maybe a chip from a burr left over from the factory got in the way or something. Frankly, I am guessing here.

After today's session, I put the Hogue Monogrip back on as the Compac was allowing the gun to shift around too much in my hand during recoil.

As an experiment, I tried shooting with my weak hand and it went fairly well with a minor embarrassment. One of the rounds went right into the steel spring clip holding the target on the stand, and ruined the clip. I have seen this happen before but honest to God, that was the very first time I have done it. Really!!

The gun seems to be quite accurate for me and while it might not be the best gun for everyday carry, it will serve admirably as a house/bedside gun.

But, if these misfires continue, I'll have to send it back to Springfield.
                  Last edited by gerhard1; 03-08-2018, 23:35. Reason: typo

Comment

Hope it smooths out and starts being more reliable; I'm not sure Springfield works on S&W guns. Ace2

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                      Hope it smooths out and starts being more reliable; I'm not sure Springfield works on S&W guns. Ace2
                      Funny. I meant Springfield, Massachusetts, the S&W factory.

Comment

Yeah, the joke would have been better if I'd remembered to put 'Armory' after 'Springfield'. Long day, I'm tired, going to bed. Ace2

Comment

Put another 140 rounds through the 986 today, all of them WWB from WallyWorld, and experienced a bunch of light hammer strikes. Then I thought I'd have to into Enid to pick up some Federals from Academy, and I found 350 rounds of their Hardball at home, so tomorrow, I'll try that (they seem to have softer primers) and see how that works. If it does, I'll order a couple of cases of it on-line, and the problem will have been solved. If it doesn't, I'll contact S&W and see what they say.

Other suggestions?

Comment

It needs to go back to Mass........I'd be on the phone getting a return label, never mind trying to find a load it likes. .
                            The Lion Does Not Turn Around When the Small Dog Barks

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck R. View Post
                              It needs to go back to Mass........I'd be on the phone getting a return label, never mind trying to find a load it likes. .
                              Yeah, you're right. That's what I should do. I've got to go to town anyway, so I'll drop by my FFL and ask them if they can make the arrangements.

Comment

Working...
                              X