S&W Model 986

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gerhard1 View Post

Yeah, you're right. That's what I should do. I've got to go to town anyway, so I'll drop by my FFL and ask them if they can make the arrangements.
    Give S&W a call 1st, try to get a return label so the shipping is on them.......You're FFL can receive it when it comes back.
    The Lion Does Not Turn Around When the Small Dog Barks

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck R. View Post

Give S&W a call 1st, try to get a return label so the shipping is on them.......You're FFL can receive it when it comes back.
      I sent S&W an email, and told them what the problem was. The process has begun. Then I called my FFL. I don't have a printer and he does, so he'll have to print the label for me anyway. I emailed them so there is a record of what was said.
      Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.
      The Pale Horse available on Amazon for your digital reader.

Comment

Sounds like a plan!
        The Lion Does Not Turn Around When the Small Dog Barks

Comment

S&W suggests that I send it back to Springfield* and tells me they will pay for it. I'll get the formal authorization in a few days.

*Massachusetts
          Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.

Comment

Okay, I looked up your gun on the S&W website. It is only available as a Performance Center produced revolver. Now, that is their premium guns. I don't understand why you are having so much trouble with one of their PC produced revolvers! I mean, it should be primo right out of the box, ready to go, no break in required! I'm disappointed in S&W.
            http://youtu.be/ei8OK4WdoW0
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4CuH...e=channel_page
            http://www.stoppingpower.net/comment...tervention.asp
            http://youtu.be/wXwPtP-KDNk
            https://youtu.be/Iy71umadb6k

Comment

Originally posted by Goodtime Charlie View Post
              Okay, I looked up your gun on the S&W website. It is only available as a Performance Center produced revolver. Now, that is their premium guns. I don't understand why you are having so much trouble with one of their PC produced revolvers! I mean, it should be primo right out of the box, ready to go, no break in required! I'm disappointed in S&W.
              Agreed: I usually don't have this much trouble with regular production stuff, much less their pro-series line. But, I suppose that even Cadillac cars have the occasional lemon. My hope (and expectation) is that the issues it is having are fixed.

Comment

Good luck with that, gerhard1. I don't know who is running S&W, but I think I could run it better. They don't seem to really understand what people want in their guns. For example, they are building their Classic line with the infernal, internal locks, for goodness sakes! All that does is turn off potential new gun buyers, and make them look for the old, original guns. And S&W's MSRP's are ridiculous! Sorry for the rant, but when I think of what they could do vs what they are doing, it just makes me livid. Rant off.
                http://youtu.be/ei8OK4WdoW0
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4CuH...e=channel_page
                http://www.stoppingpower.net/comment...tervention.asp
                http://youtu.be/wXwPtP-KDNk
                https://youtu.be/Iy71umadb6k

Comment

One problem is many of the old gun companies are getting bought up and combined in big companies; they have no autonomy anymore. Another problem is these big companies are run more by bean counters than gunners; they don't care about quality, just putting a bunch of stuff out there that looks good so lots of people will buy it. Other problems too, but I gotta go to work. Ace2
                  Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

Hello Gerhard1

Last year I sent my S&W M&P 9c back for repair. I had broken the slide release on the right side, the firing pin was wearing on one side and the slide spring was coming apart. I have been carrying this gun since Kansas allowed conceal carry. Lots of carry in and out of pickups, and thousands of rounds of practice.

I emailed S&W they sent out the paper work and I took to Fed Ex and dropped into a box and off it went. Came back 5 weeks later they had replaced the worn, damaged parts and cleaned it up. I had sent it in dirty just to see if they would clean it. Took it out and hammered 300 rounds down range and it work 100%. Did not cost me a dime and I am very happy with service.

I hope you have as good as service.

I recently purchased a Springfield XDm in 45 and after reading the Limited Warranty it does not cover normal wear and tear and only offers warranty to the original owner. If you buy one used you are out of luck. I now wish I would have picked up another Smith & Wesson M&P but this time in 45 acp.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by br549 View Post
                      Hello Gerhard1

Last year I sent my S&W M&P 9c back for repair. I had broken the slide release on the right side, the firing pin was wearing on one side and the slide spring was coming apart. I have been carrying this gun since Kansas allowed conceal carry. Lots of carry in and out of pickups, and thousands of rounds of practice.

I emailed S&W they sent out the paper work and I took to Fed Ex and dropped into a box and off it went. Came back 5 weeks later they had replaced the worn, damaged parts and cleaned it up. I had sent it in dirty just to see if they would clean it. Took it out and hammered 300 rounds down range and it work 100%. Did not cost me a dime and I am very happy with service.

I hope you have as good as service.

I recently purchased a Springfield XDm in 45 and after reading the Limited Warranty it does not cover normal wear and tear and only offers warranty to the original owner. If you buy one used you are out of luck. I now wish I would have picked up another Smith & Wesson M&P but this time in 45 acp.

Randy
                      Got the serial; number thing sorted out, and Monday, I go to Enid.
                      Last edited by gerhard1; 03-24-2018, 12:58. Reason: typo

Comment

Just got back from Enid and it is on its' way to S&W, and should be there Wednesday.

I do hope they fix it.

Comment

It's 100% reliable with Federal and Remington ammunition. WWB and even Fiocchi not so much. Misfires were even more frequent with Fiocchi, which I found surprising. So far, it's had about 600-700 rounds though it and I put the Pachmayr Compac grips back on. If I stick with Federal or Remington (no real big hardship) I can depend on it to go bang. I just got 1000 rounds of Federal 115 grain FMJ from ammoman, and I ordered some Hydra-Shok defensive stuff from Midway, so I'm ready to think about carrying it.

It seems to a good pointer and I can obliterate the center of a pizza box quite easily. Actually, I save the tops from that MISO oriental soup mix and they make excellent targets. They're about 6" in diameter and I do a combination point-shooting (un-aimed fire) function fire and even when I move when I shoot I hit what I am trying to hit. If I miss, it i s usually by a whisker.

In short, I like revolvers, and I like the 9 mm round, so this seems like a good combination.

All-in-all, in spite of the rocky start, I am very pleased with the 986 revolver.

Comment

Since I have so much WWB 9 mm on hand, I decided on an experiment. TK Custom has extra-thick moon clips and I have ordered ten of them. My intention is to see if that helps with the light hammer strikes.

Comment

Visesmith: ordered one from Midway as the extractor rod is backing out and my brother suggested this as the tool he prefers to use.

http://www.gunsmithertools.com/vices...tra/index.html

The threads are ccw to tighten cw to loosen; just the opposite of normal screws. 'Righty-tighty; lefty-loosey' doesn't work on S&W extractor rods.

Comment

From the S&W website

My 986.

The front sight has been changed from the factory Patridge to a S&W red ramp, and it now sports Hogue Bantam grips

Comment

Working...
                                X