5" Ruger GP100 .44

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5" Ruger GP100 .44

Sold the .45 Colt S&W--already smacking myself--and used the money to pick up a new 5" GP100 .44Spl. Got it today, and if it proves as cool and accurate as the 3" model, I can definitely see it as a pork chop procuration device. I even have a holster that just might serve as a CCHolster for it; if so, I can have the big one strong side, the little one weak side, and go all Two Gun Pete.
    Next step is to get some Underwood or Buffalo Bore hunting loads ordered, get the gun sighted in with some cowboy loads I found, then fine-tuned with the better stuff. Thinking about trying some HCWC and/or HCSWC for hunting; the HCWC's could also be suitable for social services. Plus there's a gas-checked lead hollow point load that should be dandy for social work, if the POA/POI is close enough to the hunting loads.
    I'll do a range report as soon as I can get there and wring it out. Be happy for me! Ace2
    Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

If they eventually chamber that in 44mag, it will jump straight to the top of my " things I don't need, but really want!" list.
    Congrats on the new toy!
    NRA Life Member
    Rest in Peace, Joseph Wilcox

Comment

That's good stuff Ace..

Enjoy
      "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher an animal, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by mntnbkr1968 View Post
        That's good stuff Ace..

Enjoy
        Indeed it is, ace.

Just curious: have any of you thought about the S&W Model 69? That's a 4" five-shot L-frame in 44 Magnum.
        Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.
        The Pale Horse available on Amazon for your digital reader.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
          Sold the .45 Colt S&W--already smacking myself--and used the money to pick up a new 5" GP100 .44Spl. Got it today, and if it proves as cool and accurate as the 3" model, I can definitely see it as a pork chop procuration device. I even have a holster that just might serve as a CCHolster for it; if so, I can have the big one strong side, the little one weak side, and go all Two Gun Pete.
          Next step is to get some Underwood or Buffalo Bore hunting loads ordered, get the gun sighted in with some cowboy loads I found, then fine-tuned with the better stuff. Thinking about trying some HCWC and/or HCSWC for hunting; the HCWC's could also be suitable for social services. Plus there's a gas-checked lead hollow point load that should be dandy for social work, if the POA/POI is close enough to the hunting loads.
          I'll do a range report as soon as I can get there and wring it out. Be happy for me! Ace2
          My opinion, you should have kept the S&W, better gun, and you lost a round

But if you're happy, I'm happy for you
          "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

Wish I cudda kept it, but nobody took advantage of the other sensational deals I have on BST, so it was the first to go.

Dunno about 'better', but it most assuredly was a good one. Ace2

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
              Remember the old FBI load? In case you don't, that was the 158 grain SWCHP +P in 38 Special. Federal has their version of the old FBI Load but in 44 Special.. I have some that I might review here when things get a bit more settled for me.

If you favor the 44 it might be worth looking at

Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.

Comment

Just found a partial box of that load by Buffalo Bore. Too much fun for the gun in the 3", we'll see how it goes in the 5". Also ordered some HCWC and HCSWC from Underwood. That'll be fun, too.
                In my buncha stuff I have a speed loader full of that Federal load from BITD when I carried a 4" Model 29 as a duty gun---one of my 'butt kicking' guns; if I think too long about it, I kick meself in the butt for letting it go.

Let us have a report when you get to mess with it. We'll have some prayers going up for you on Tuesday; of course let us know how that goes. Ace2

Comment

Is this the 44 Special Ruger you just got?

Comment

Yep, except the advertised gold-bead front sight turned out to be a green fiber optic. Fixed that with a dab of yellow Front Sight Color Customizing Compound. Also the grips are the original GP100 rubber'n'wood. Ace2

Comment

Haven't gotten to the range to fine tune it yet, but 15 yards out my back door, 190gr Buffalo Bore lead hollow points and Underwood 200gr HCWC do quite well off-hand, after a couple tweaks of the sight. Even with those relatively 'hot' loads, recoil is easy. Got some heavier BB HCSWC hunting loads, recoil will likely be more substantial;, but those will wait until I can shoot over a rest. Been working on a redneck trigger job, will have it at work today to continue. Thus far I'm impressed. Even found a holster in the pile in case I want to carry it---need a longer-tailed shirt for that, though. Ace2

Comment

Well?! We're waiting!
                        http://youtu.be/ei8OK4WdoW0
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4CuH...e=channel_page
                        http://www.stoppingpower.net/comment...tervention.asp
                        http://youtu.be/wXwPtP-KDNk
                        https://youtu.be/Iy71umadb6k

Comment

Well, OK again. This one has proven to be a dandy. It really likes the Underwood 200gr HCWC load, as well as their 200gr SWC. Both will make good hunting loads, according to my reliable handgun hunter sources. I tried cutting down an old 6" holster for concealed carry purposes, and it will work if I wear a long enough vest or shirt; but so many years of carrying 4" and shorter barrels has me spoiled. So it will rarely be carried for social purposes, unless the occasion should call for a shoulder holster--same thing as with the 6" Security Six.
                          I'm looking at a compact grip for it, which will fit my short stubby fingers better than the ones it came with. For a holster, I found a place called Diamond D that makes custom-fitted rigs. Got one of their belt holsters, and added the drop-loop to it, and once I get a belt to match to it, it will make a great knock-around outfit. It should be a cross between a ranch rig and gunslinger rig--the gun will be low enough to make drawing with the 5" barrel efficient (Oh, that word!), but not be hanging down around my knees like the TV cowboys.

I was looking at ammoseek.com for relatively inexpensive loads for practice, and came across the Fiocchi 200gr SJHP at a good price. Got some, tried it, and it shoots well out of this gun. It feels like a pretty warm load, and I need to shoot it over the chronograph. The bullet is pretty solidly built, and would probably perform better--re:expansion and penetration--at Magnum velocities. But if it would perform properly at Special velocities, it would make a good addition to the hunting options. Maybe I could cut some slots in the exposed lead, turn them into dum-dums.....(that's a joke).

Any questions, bring them up. If I don't know the answer, I'll make it up. Ace2

Comment

To revive an old thread: Haven't shot this one for a while, but did come up with an original compact grip. Got to the range today--finally--and shot some Underwood 200gr HCWC, and some of their 255gr LSWC (just wanted to try a heavy load, see what happens). Both loads shot more of a 'pattern' than a group at 15 yards, which is surprising, considering how well it liked the 200gr load before. I'm hoping it's a result of putting the compact grip on the gun. Gotta order some more ammo, and going to put the original larger grips back on and see if that helps. Also will try the Hogue (I think) grips that came on the 3" same-model gun (switched those out for the compacts for carry; it works fine with them).
                            Anyway, the 255gr load shot a little tighter than the lighter one this time. I'm hoping the bigger grips will help me with control. The 'patterns' were in the 3-4" size, which would be OK for poking Bambi in the ribs; but the guys are going on a pig hunt next week, and the little nephew and I have a challenge on for shooting at least one of the two with pistols. At 15-20 yards, I'd hope--nay, expect--to be able to shoot a pig through the ears. Today's results would make me nervous to try that. If I can't get the .44 to work like I want, I guess it .45 Colt Blackhawk will have to be the 'go to'. Wish me luck. Ace2

edit to add: Forgot to mention, the heavy load is pretty stout, along the lines of a lower-end Magnum. The company states 1,000fps; didn't have a chronograph, but I'd venture a guess it's pretty close. Doesn't hurt my hand like a Magnum (which is why I gave the Redhawk to the little nephew), but still not something I'd like to do one of those classes where you shoot all day.
                            The 200gr HCWC is stout, but much more pleasant. Wouldn't be a bad load for defensive use, either, to replace or supplement the 200gr JHP's. Ace2 again
                            Last edited by Ace; 04-11-2019, 22:44.

Comment

I've got to do that review of Federal 44 Special that I talked about in October. Your post was a reminder.. I'll use my 629 MG.

Comment

Working...
                              X