X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BoreSighters: Additional functionality

I've got a Leupold Zero Point Boresighter that I've had for years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLw8IFJMOMw

Unfortunately it's been discontinued for several years now. One of my favorite features of this and the other "collimater" type boresighters is the ability to record your zero in addition to helping get on paper when boresighting.

I just used this feature yesterday and it worked extremely well. For the Leupold, I make paper copies of the boresighter grid and record my zero by rifle, scope and load. Should something get "whacked" or a scope need to be removed and replaced, I slap on the boresighter, reefer to my paper copy and re-zero the rifle to that point. Then I fine tune when shooting. Works pretty well. When going on hunting trips (most likely time to whack something) I bring the boresighter with me and take a picture using my cellphone of me zero sheet. So if something gets dropped, it's a couple minutes to verify "all is well" or fix something.

I just tried an "extreme" version of this yesterday with some remarkable results. Last month I pulled a Leupold MK4 off one of my rifles and sent it in to the Leupold Custom Shop for a turret upgrade. I received back on Friday, remounted it and re-zero'd it using my zero data and the Leupold Zero Point. I was planning on verifying the zero when the weather gets decent, if it ever get's decent. During a lull in the crappy weather yesterday I figured what the heck, I'll try it "as is" off the back deck at 407 and 547 yards. So I fire up the Kestrel, change rifles and loads in Strelok, dial in the dope, and take a shot at 407 at my turkey swinger.......and receive a very satisfying "dong" and a hit about 4R and 2D off POA, basically the normal margin of error due to conditions. Made those adjustments, then center-punched the next 3 targets. Same results when I moved on to 547y.

So if your one of those "I don't need a boresighter I can look down the barrel" kind of guys, here's another use for you. Unless of course you can look down the barrel, adjust your scope and whack something at 407 yards, IF that's the case then as they say..."never-mind"
    The Lion Does Not Turn Around When the Small Dog Barks

Tell us more about the.Leupold turret upgrade.

I have an older Leopold I love, but am fascinated with tactical turrets.
    Last edited by Bat Rastard; 02-24-2019, 17:36.
    NRA Life Member
    Rest in Peace, Joseph Wilcox

Comment

Originally posted by Bat Rastard View Post
      Tell us more about the.Leupold turret upgrade.

I have an older Leopold I love, but am fascinated with tactical turrets.
      My MKIV was one of the older models with the TMR reticle in MILRADs and the adjustments in MOA. Not a good LR combination.

Drove me nuts bouncing back and forth while making adjustments. So I asked the custom shop guys if I could have either the turrets changed to MRAD, or the reticle changed to MOA. Got a reply back they could change the reticle, so I shipped it off. A few days after arrival, I got a call telling me they could change the reticle, but I'd loose the illumination, or I could go to a hunting reticle and lose the holdovers. So I decided to have the turrets changed out to the newer MK5 MILRADs. $225 and 3 weeks on the nose I got it back. So far it's passed a tracking test and seems fine. They also went over the erectors and made sure all is well.

SO now I've got .10 MILRAD adjustments and a MILRAD reticle, much easier to spot for myself and I no longer need to do math on the fly.

IF you're thinking about it, I'd make sure you explain in detail what you're wanting to do, both to verify they can do it and get an idea of the costs. For me it's worth it as the MKIV with illumination still goes for around $1000. You might be better off springing for a new scope.
      The Lion Does Not Turn Around When the Small Dog Barks

Comment

Working...
      X