Barrel Threading

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barrel Threading

Not sure if this is the right sub forum, but I'll try anyway.
    I'm looking to get the barrel of my 45/70 threaded. Is there anyone in KS that I should use? Any suggestions, stay away froms, etc..?
    Je Suis Charles Martel...

You don't say what kind of 45/70? Is the barrel straight or tapered? Is it "odd" in any way?

Any machinist with a good lathe can cut threads on a bar. On a barrel with attached receiver or other issues in chucking the barrel absolutely straight is what a gunsmith has being trained doing. Federal gunsmith laws can be a problem so are you able to send just the barrel or will you send the entire firearm?

Don't know anyone? Before I sent a rifle or barrel to a shop I'd like to see their equipment. An old wobbly lather and dull bits won't cut tight threads. Brand new tools might be unfamiliar. Hope someone can advise.
    The people think the Constitution protects their rights; But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    If your religion says suicide and murder are wrong; Aren't you doing both if you are not prepared to defend your life and the lives of others?
    I am not a lawyer, but I have personal opinions.

Comment

Itís a Marlin 1895. Nothing strange.
      Thats why I asked for any experiential knowledge, donít want to sent it to just anyone.
      Je Suis Charles Martel...

Comment

A nice rifle. It is easy to remove the forearm, magazine tube and even the sights. But a lathe with a big enough headstodk to place the entire barrel and support and center the barrel is the issue. Even with all the action parts removed and butt stock, the unit will be out of balance. Better to remove the barrel which makes a gunsmith with the proper tools your best bet.
        I don't know the best search method. Maybe a phone call to a well known company.

New thought. Whoever does the job has to center the turning and threads on the bore because the outside of the barrel may not be turned straight and parallel to the bore. So the setup is critical.

Years ago the store where I worked did a ton of business with Simmons. Give them a call, if they can't do the job they probably know who can do the job professionally. https://www.simmonsguns.biz/contact/
        700 South Rogers Road, Olathe, KS 66062

913-782-3131

Email Paul Marsh at; pmarsh@simmonsguns.com

Email Melanie at: melanie.simmonsguns@gmail.com
        Last edited by Jim Macklin; 03-05-2019, 15:39.
        The people think the Constitution protects their rights; But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
        If your religion says suicide and murder are wrong; Aren't you doing both if you are not prepared to defend your life and the lives of others?
        I am not a lawyer, but I have personal opinions.

Comment

Working...
        X