Colt Combat Commander

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colt Combat Commander

I'm thinking of getting one in 9 MM primarily as a plinker and recreational gun but I am thinking of it as a carry gun at some point as well. As soon as I get a hearing aid paid for, I'll start saving my pennies.

I just watched a hilarious video you tube that showed this idiot's field-stripping one and he did it azz backwards.
    Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.
    The Pale Horse available on Amazon for your digital reader.

Here is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3uqaKplu8Q
    Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.

Comment

Here is the correct way to field strip and reassemble the Commander.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qelVPHmFMjM

Comment

Look up the Logman cut on the 1911 forum.

Love my Colts, but I find the LW Commander carries better than the all steel Officer’s. Let me know if you would like to shoot it.
        Originally posted by kscardsfan
        Grain of salt hell, I'm taking it with a salt block from the feed store. Thats a big bunch of crap there.

QUOTE=mjkeat;n1101496]****ing stupid.[/QUOTE]

Comment

If and when I buy another gun I'm thinking of the Ruger SR1911. The aluminum frame guns have an insert in the frame that takes the wear and tear of the loading cycle. https://www.ruger.com/products/sr1911/overview.html

I've owned several Colt 1911s including GI, Commander and Gold Cup models. Back in the 1950-60s Colt QC got bad enough that custom gunsmiths began a good living properly fitting a Colt and then they began making 1911s wholly or in part.
          Last edited by Jim Macklin; 03-09-2019, 00:21.
          The people think the Constitution protects their rights; But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
          If your religion says suicide and murder are wrong; Aren't you doing both if you are not prepared to defend your life and the lives of others?
          I am not a lawyer, but I have personal opinions.

Comment

A friend had a light weight Commander in 9mm that he was going to tun into competition gun for his wife

It was a great pistol

If you can find a Series 70 I think you will like it a lot, don't know anything about the 80 series

Honest though if you can come up with the coin the STI DVC is outstanding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKdufzwJ_NE
            "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Not so big Tom View Post

Love my Colts, but I find the LW Commander carries better than the all steel Officer’s. Let me know if you would like to shoot it.
              It took me a few minutes to figure it out, but the log man cut is a marvelous idea. I'll see how available Colt-compatible slide stops are as aftermarket goods. Thank you Tom.

I remember that you said how God kills a kitten every time someone makes a slide-stop scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by Not so big Tom View Post

Great idea.
                I'll post the images of examples directly to cut some search time down.

Here's the assembled pic of the slide stop cut above and how it provides a guide for the PITA plunger.

Personally, I love my 9mm 1911. It's a bit heavy for carry since it's all stainless steel, Government profile but it goes with me to every range visit when I go on a pistol shoot. I bought it as a dedicated range pistol. I carried a S&W Performance center 1911 with alloy frame for along time; which would be similar in weight to the OP's subject pistol. I liked it a lot but decided to go with capacity over caliber for the last 5 or so years.

It's hard to believe I've been carrying for 17 years now... First CCW was Virginia in 2002, then Kansas under Department Letterhead (I had to volunteer for awhile until Kansas decided to pass CCH, and damned if they didn't stick me on graveyards constantly in the sticks of a small town) and finally just renewed CCH for the second time with Kansas.
                For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
                And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
                And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
                And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!
                -Lord Byron (=5 lines)

Comment

The Ruger SR1911s have an extended slide stop and thumb safety. Standard 1911 parts will fit the Ruger. Ruger sells the Novak ambi-safety

https://www.ruger.com/products/sr1911/overview.html

They are Series 70 with a titanium firing pin instead of a safety lock such as Colt's Series 80 that uses levers to push a plunger clear of the firing pin when the trigger is pulled.
                  Kimber uses a different firing pin safety.

Kimber Series II Firing Pin Block Safety » Sight M1911

sightm1911.com/lib/tech/Kimber_SII_FPB.htm

Kimber Series II Firing Pin Block Safety. ... (It is essentially a resurrection of the Swartz safety developed for Colt before the Second World War). When you depress the grip safety, a small pin pushes a plunger up in the slide which unblocks the firing pin.

You can see details of both firing pin safety http://gunstuff-jd.blogspot.com/2009...e-revised.html
                  Last edited by Jim Macklin; 03-09-2019, 06:56.
                  The people think the Constitution protects their rights; But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
                  If your religion says suicide and murder are wrong; Aren't you doing both if you are not prepared to defend your life and the lives of others?

Comment

Your revolver and some actual fight focused training would put you much further ahead as far as your and your loved one's safety goes. Knowledge can be as rewarding as collecting material items. It really just depends on what's important to you I guess.
                    Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by gerhard1 View Post

It took me a few minutes to figure it out, but the log man cut is a marvelous idea. I'll see how available Colt-compatible slide stops are as aftermarket goods. Thank you Tom.

I remember that you said how God kills a kitten every time someone makes a slide-stop scratch.
                      There is no shortage of aftermarket, but I have no qualms cutting the factory fitted stop. It is such an elegant solution it really should be part of the design.
                      Originally posted by kscardsfan
                      Grain of salt hell, I'm taking it with a salt block from the feed store. Thats a big bunch of crap there.

QUOTE=mjkeat;n1101496]****ing stupid.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Tom, I'm honestly surprised that Colt, or a few of the other makers doesn't include the cut in their pistols.

James, the problem with the Rugers (for me) is their frames for the 9 mm 1911 pistols are made of lightweight alloy and that on the Combat Commander from Colt is steel. Steel is stronger.

Comment

Tom, I'm honestly surprised that Colt, or a few of the other makers doesn't include the cut in their pistols.

James, the problem with the Rugers (for me) is their frames for the 9 mm 1911 pistols are made of lightweight alloy and that on the Combat Commander from Colt is steel. Steel is stronger.
                          Unless you just want the added weight of steel I think an aluminum frame would be okay. The steel frame does reduce felt recoil a little though

I like light pistols
                          "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by ricco View Post

Unless you just want the added weight of steel I think an aluminum frame would be okay. The steel frame does reduce felt recoil a little though

I like light pistols
                            The steel will definitely be a better range pistol. Alloy will definitely be easier to carry. I like the steel versions overall. When they get stupid light; like alloy Officer, I dislike shooting them. Not because of the recoil but because the grip is really too small for me. In 9mm, it should be just fine to handle but if I'm anticipating a high round count of a range gun, aluminium frame fitups get sloppy with relatively few rounds. Of course, on the other side of that coin, they're also less finicky when they're good and sloppy.
                            For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
                            And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
                            And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
                            And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!
                            -Lord Byron (=5 lines)

Comment

Most steel1911 frames are mild and soft steel. The aluminum alloys used on 1911 frames is 6061T6 or 7075T6 which is much lighter in weight and with tensile strength superior to mild steel.

The Ruger aluminum framed 1911s have a titanium insert in the feed ramp.

Compared fit, finish and included features and you'll be happy with a Ruger.
                              I have not shot or handled "new" Colt's made on CNC machines.

Comment

Working...
                              X