My New 610

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New 610

After ordering it on the 7th of May, it took forever to get the shop in Rhode Island to ship it and then when it did finally arrive, it had a very rough action. Following advice I got on the S&W forum, that said the problem was likely dried grease and oil left over from the factory, my idea was to spray the innards with WD-40 and let it set for a while. This seems to have helped, as the trigger now seems a lot smoother. However, WD-40 can dry and get all gunky and sticky as well, so I applied some 91% rubbing alcohol to get rid of the WD-40.

Anyway, after waiting for almost three weeks, due to very inclement weather, (floods and tornadoes) I FINALLY got to shoot the 610. Teresa (my wife) came with me and shot the Walther PPK/s in .22 Long Rifle . Watching her shoot was fun especially when she hit the bottles. Anyway, the wait on the 610 was worth it as it ran like a champion. 66 SELLIER & BELLOT rounds went off and the S&B primers are, from what I hear, very hard. I figure if it will reliably shoot the S&B stuff, it will handle anything. A few more shooting sessions with no light primer strikes, and I will have a new carry gun. The recoil, while it was certainly there, was very manageable, and this was partly due to the Pachmayr Compac grips that my brother Dennis introduced me to when I lived back in Seattle I've always liked the Compacs.

Later on, my better half and I attended a gathering organized through the Oklahoma forum at a range near Enid and the 610 was a big hit with the Okie shooters. So far, there have been no malfunctions, and by this I mean no light primer strikes, but there will be a few more range sessions with no hitches before I start to carry it.

I'm really going to like this gun. I waited for almost thirty years for it.
    Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.
    The Pale Horse available on Amazon for your digital reader.
    I don't know why I'm better with revolvers, keat so please stop asking.

Guns with dried oil, grease and even worse, rust on plain streel parts can be cleaned after removing grips or on long guns,the wood. Then submerge in kerosene for days or weeks if rusted.
    The using properly fitted screw drivers, strip the gun down and removed the kerosene with brake cleaner spray. If rust isn't an issue just disassemble and use the brake cleaner spray. There are now prducts designed for firearms.
    Removing the side plate on a S&W means taking out 3 or 4 screws and using a wooden handle to rap on the grip area which causes the side plate to pop loose. Keep track of whicj screw come out of whicj hole since the screws are not the same.
    Use a smaall amount of quality gun oil when reassembling.

All S&W are "similar" but vary slightly with age. Once the side plate is off, the parts are easy to remove with only the main spring tension screw requiring a screw driver. Other parts require moving the revolver pawl to clear the frame so it can be just lifted out. To remve the trigger the rebound slide must be lifted from the rear. Careful, the spring is under high tension and it will fly, maybe in your eye. If your gun has a trigger stop it may be a steel rod inside the recound slode. Don't lose it.

A gun smith will charge $20-$50 to put it back togeter, maybe a $100 if he/she has to listen to your story about how a kid took it apart.
    The people think the Constitution protects their rights; But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    If your religion says suicide and murder are wrong; Aren't you doing both if you are not prepared to defend your life and the lives of others?
    I am not a lawyer, but I have personal opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by gerhard1 View Post

After ordering it on the 7th of May, it took forever to get the shop in Rhode Island to ship it and then when it did finally arrive, it had a very rough action. Following advice I got on the S&W forum, that said the problem was likely dried grease and oil left over from the factory, my idea was to spray the innards with WD-40 and let it set for a while. This seems to have helped, as the trigger now seems a lot smoother. However, WD-40 can dry and get all gunky and sticky as well, so I applied some 91% rubbing alcohol to get rid of the WD-40.

Anyway, after waiting for almost three weeks, due to very inclement weather, (floods and tornadoes) I FINALLY got to shoot the 610. Teresa (my wife) came with me and shot the Walther PPK/s in .22 Long Rifle . Watching her shoot was fun especially when she hit the bottles. Anyway, the wait on the 610 was worth it as it ran like a champion. 66 SELLIER & BELLOT rounds went off and the S&B primers are, from what I hear, very hard. I figure if it will reliably shoot the S&B stuff, it will handle anything. A few more shooting sessions with no light primer strikes, and I will have a new carry gun. The recoil, while it was certainly there, was very manageable, and this was partly due to the Pachmayr Compac grips that my brother Dennis introduced me to when I lived back in Seattle I've always liked the Compacs.

Later on, my better half and I attended a gathering organized through the Oklahoma forum at a range near Enid and the 610 was a big hit with the Okie shooters. So far, there have been no malfunctions, and by this I mean no light primer strikes, but there will be a few more range sessions with no hitches before I start to carry it.

I'm really going to like this gun. I waited for almost thirty years for it.
      That's beautiful.
      You might be interested in getting some stone work done to smooth everything out mechanically on the new S&W's. It shouldn''t cost that much. About $60 in my neck of the woods for the last one I had done a couple years ago. That's about all I have had done on my Smith's and it completely gets rid of the creeping. You can dry fire it until your hands are sore and it will help a little. Like you said, WD-40 dries and gets sticky. It already has some evaporation agents in it by design. It was designed to bind to water and evaporate. It works well at first but lubricity decreases significantly by the end of its working life. It's not all that great as a protectant either. Any machine surface I've treated with WD-40 flash rusted from condensation.

WD-40 still has it's place in my as a way to get rid of water inside electrical connections and for temporary lube but after that, I start looking at other lubricants for protection. In the shop I use CRC-350 for my raw machine work and unpainted metal bench tops and CRC400 for long-term storage (400 dries like cosmoline and becomes tacky but does the job for long term storage of raw metal surfaces). I like G96 overall for gun stuff but everyone has their own preferences. Cheap Hoppes will do the job if you re-treat it occasionally.

Be careful with those side plate screws if you take them off. Use a flat blade that fits snug in the screw slot and don't pry on the side plate with a tool.
      For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
      And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
      And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
      And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!
      -Lord Byron (=5 lines)

Comment

Originally posted by fixxer View Post

That's beautiful.
        You might be interested in getting some stone work done to smooth everything out mechanically on the new S&W's. It shouldn''t cost that much. About $60 in my neck of the woods for the last one I had done a couple years ago. That's about all I have had done on my Smith's and it completely gets rid of the creeping. You can dry fire it until your hands are sore and it will help a little. Like you said, WD-40 dries and gets sticky. It already has some evaporation agents in it by design. It was designed to bind to water and evaporate. It works well at first but lubricity decreases significantly by the end of its working life. It's not all that great as a protectant either. Any machine surface I've treated with WD-40 flash rusted from condensation.

WD-40 still has it's place in my as a way to get rid of water inside electrical connections and for temporary lube but after that, I start looking at other lubricants for protection. In the shop I use CRC-350 for my raw machine work and unpainted metal bench tops and CRC400 for long-term storage (400 dries like cosmoline and becomes tacky but does the job for long term storage of raw metal surfaces). I like G96 overall for gun stuff but everyone has their own preferences. Cheap Hoppes will do the job if you re-treat it occasionally.

Be careful with those side plate screws if you take them off. Use a flat blade that fits snug in the screw slot and don't pry on the side plate with a tool.
        A cop on the Okie forum is a S&W armorer and has offered me an action job, but I don't think I'll do it right away. It is said that the best action job there is, is to put rounds through it. That's actually the fun way to do it.

As an aside, I didn't take the side plate off. All I did was to saturate the innards with WD -40, and work the action and let it sit for a half hour. The next step was to put the gun--minus the grips-- in a painting tray, and sprayed the inside with a de-greaser (91% rubbing alcohol) letting the excess drain into the tray. I did this several times to get as much of the WD-40 out as I could and then I dry-fired it. There was a noticeable improvement just by doing this.

Please understand; I'm not saying that I won't get an action job at some point in time, I just mean to shoot it in and see how that goes. Like I say, that's the fun way of doing it.
        Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.

Comment

Yeah I get it. It doesn't necessarily need it and shooting it double action will help you as a shooter.

The beauty of revolvers is that you get to pick if you want to shoot it double or single action with every shot.
          Last edited by fixxer; 06-20-2019, 21:00.
          -Lord Byron (=5 lines)

Comment

Pretty gun--aesthetically and effectively. Only change I'd make is to add a smaller grip if I was gonna carry it; that one would be fine for hunting with. I'm picturing some nice pearl-looking ones, and a floral-carved Threepersons holster--which wouldn't matter since it would be concealed. Kinda makes me wish I had a need for another gun. Ace2
            Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

Yeah I get it. It doesn't necessarily need it and shooting it double action will help you as a shooter.

The beauty of revolvers is that you get to pick if you want to shoot it double or single action with every shot.
              Occasions where I shoot my S&W wheel guns single-action are rare as hen's teeth. If you know your way around DA revolvers, and I flatter myself that I do, shooting DA is just as easy as single-action. And as the gun wears in, the trigger-pull gets smoother.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                Pretty gun--aesthetically and effectively. Only change I'd make is to add a smaller grip if I was gonna carry it; that one would be fine for hunting with. I'm picturing some nice pearl-looking ones, and a floral-carved Threepersons holster--which wouldn't matter since it would be concealed. Kinda makes me wish I had a need for another gun. Ace2
                Pearl is pretty, but it's slippery. The best RB N-frame grips I have found for myself, is the Pachmayr Compacs, and these are on the gun now. If I ever figure out how to take a picture (reliably) I'd post it here.

Comment

Big fan of the Compacs, got some on my Security and Speed Six's.

A wrapping of skateboard tape on pearl grips would fix that slippery problem... Ace2
                  Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

Occasions where I shoot my S&W wheel guns single-action are rare as hen's teeth. If you know your way around DA revolvers, and I flatter myself that I do, shooting DA is just as easy as single-action. And as the gun wears in, the trigger-pull gets smoother.
                    Right there with you on that too. Once you know where your trigger cams over, you'll be calling every shot. I love my old S&W 19 even with the wooden grips, its a great fit. I need to take it and my 625 out and stretch their legs.

Good time of year to take it out and see how you like it. I really like the 610 double fluted barrel. It should balance very well.

I found that they make a 610 chambered in 10mm with moon clips. I'd love to add a scoped example of that to my stable.
                    Last edited by fixxer; 06-21-2019, 01:24.
                    -Lord Byron (=5 lines)

Comment

Right there with you on that too. Once you know where your trigger cams over, you'll be calling every shot. I love my old S&W 19 even with the wooden grips, its a great fit. I need to take it and my 625 out and stretch their legs.

Good time of year to take it out and see how you like it. I really like the 610 double fluted barrel. It should balance very well.

I found that they make a 610 chambered in 10mm with moon clips. I'd love to add a scoped example of that to my stable.
                      ????

That's what the 610 is: a wheel gun that shoots 10 mm Auto rounds and uses moon clips. Were you perhaps thinking of something else?

The reason i haven't shot it more is the weather. It's not that I mind shoooting in the rain so much,; it's that the ground slopes and getting out is a PITA.

Comment

????

That's what the 610 is: a wheel gun that shoots 10 mm Auto rounds and uses moon clips. Were you perhaps thinking of something else?

The reason i haven't shot it more is the weather. It's not that I mind shoooting in the rain so much,; it's that the ground slopes and getting out is a PITA.
                        My mistake. I keep thinking 357. I immediately think 357 and 38 spl when I think of Smith revos. Dunno why sinch I have a 45 ACP smith revo that I love. Now I'm really envious. Please letnus know how it compares to 357 modelsbin terms of recoil impulse. It's hard to o find something analogous to both 357 and 10mm auto.

I've wondered this many times having shot 10mm in a Delta 1911 and Glock.
                        -Lord Byron (=5 lines)

Comment

My mistake. I keep thinking 357. I immediately think 357 and 38 spl when I think of Smith revos. Dunno why sinch I have a 45 ACP smith revo that I love. Now I'm really envious. Please letnus know how it compares to 357 modelsbin terms of recoil impulse. It's hard to o find something analogous to both 357 and 10mm auto.

I've wondered this many times having shot 10mm in a Delta 1911 and Glock.
                          Like I aid in the OP, the recoil is there, but I found it to be very manageable.

You're up near Hutchinson, aren't you? If that's so, why don't you come on down and shoot it?

Comment

Gary, I dont think you'll like it. Send it my way!

And, iirc, 6.4-7.3gr imr 4756 and a 155 is what always ran fairly low recoil
                            Last edited by Willfully Armed; 06-21-2019, 15:25.
                            01/06 FFL $15 transfers and guns near wholesale

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties. And not to Democrats alone do I make this appeal, but to all who love these great and true principles~ Abe Lincoln

Comment

At one time I had a whole bunch of cartridges loaded up with 155 grain, hard-cast SWC and Winchester 231 powder. It' been over 20 years and I still have some of them. That was a good load as I recall.

ETA: I just got a box of Underwood 180 gr JHP, and five boxes of Hornady Critical Defense rounds that I have yet to try. I also have a bunch of Remington FMJ stuff that will my practice rounds until I can get set up with my reloading once more.
                              Last edited by gerhard1; 06-21-2019, 17:33. Reason: ETA

Comment

Working...
                              X