Galesi-Brescia .25 Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galesi-Brescia .25 Questions

Ok, a buddy of mine tasked me with testing out a gun he acquired awhile back.
    Full roll stamped name is Soc.lt Flli Galesi-Brescia Cal. 6.35.

It's chrome plated, about half of which is missing.
    Still a very nice little gun though.

Two questions though:

1. Is there any viable way to strip the chrome off to possibly Duracoat it?
    I've done a little looking about it on chemistry websites and people have advised using Mercuric Acid to strip off the chrome. Which I guess using commercial use toilet bowl cleaner would work. But they also say that there should be nickel and copper under that, which bonds the chrome to the steel.
    Any ideas here? Or is the only way is to send it off to a professional refinisher? (That's not even an option, but I want to make sure)

2. It's having ejection problems. Every round will stovepipe. Now mechanically it's an incredibly simple gun. One pin removes the ejector bar and associated spring. Now I can't see anything wrong with the ejector hook with my naked eye. Now I could order a new 20 dollar ejector/extractor and the spring would be about 5 dollars after shipping.
    But is there anything else that could be wrong with it to cause the ejection problem? Also, what would actually cause it?

Thanks to anyone that replies.

I would fine someone with a micro sandblaster. I would pack the the rails and ejection port. Remove the grips and pack the main components that can't be roughed up in anyway. Then duracoat it.
    Member of the following:
    IDPA, NRA, VFW, American Legion
    weyes1@gmail.com

Comment

The best way to strip the plating is to reverse the current.. Just like plating, but with the polarity reversed so metal comes off.

It isn't worth spending any money on it, either for the finish or function.

It is a cheap import. A true mouse-gun. Best used as a training aid about what not to buy.
      Last edited by Jim Macklin; 12-24-2009, 02:27.
      The people think the Constitution protects their rights; But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
      If your religion says suicide and murder are wrong; Aren't you doing both if you are not prepared to defend your life and the lives of others?
      I am not a lawyer, but I have personal opinions.

Comment

Use a cheap media blaster from Harbor Freight and some 130 grit aluminum oxide. The cheapest source for the AlOx I found was an auto parts store.

I didn't pack anything when I refinished my pistol; just removed all the internals from the slide and blasted it inside and out. The resulting finish is rough enough to give some "stick" to a sprayed-on coating, but won't affect the roll marks or other slide details.
        DoubleTap IDPA / Purveyor and Repairer of Small Arms
        www.flyingmonkeygunworks.com
        SilencerShop Powered NFA Dealer

Comment

Originally posted by RexDart View Post
          Use a cheap media blaster from Harbor Freight and some 130 grit aluminum oxide. The cheapest source for the AlOx I found was an auto parts store.

I didn't pack anything when I refinished my pistol; just removed all the internals from the slide and blasted it inside and out. The resulting finish is rough enough to give some "stick" to a sprayed-on coating, but won't affect the roll marks or other slide details.
          I think I remember you talking about blasting a gun.
          Thanks for the exacting response. I was worried about the roll stamps, because they're very clear and I don't think he'd want them covered up.
          If we get it to work correctly, he may also want me to do some inscribing too.
          Is Harbor Freight a store or a brand? Never heard of it. How cheap are you saying? I asked my Gramps a while back about a media blaster in the shop and he said he didn't think he has one. But I can rarely find anything I look for in the shop. Full service machine shop my butt, it's not full service if I can't find what I need to do a job!

Originally posted by Jim Macklin View Post
          The best way to strip the plating is to reverse the current.. Just like plating, but with the polarity reversed so metal comes off.

It isn't worth spending any money on it, either for the finish or function.

It is a cheap import. A true mouse-gun. Best used as a training aid about what not to buy.
          Well it's up to Justin. It's his gun. He got it for free anyway.
          It's solid steel and a delight to shoot, except for the failure to eject.
          Also, when pricing it I've actually noticed that the nickel/chromed versions and inscribed versions sell regularly for 200 up to 600 for the finely detailed ones.... Unfortunately, the finish is failing so it might as well be a blued example which run for 100 bucks. I'd still rather have a Baby Browning, but those are pricey.

Comment

Working...
          X