Ruger lcr or S&W m&p 340?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruger lcr or S&W m&p 340?

I'm looking on helping my mother get a small pistol for CCW and She liked how the revolvers operated vs the semi automatics and also liked the option of a laser. So We're down to either the cost effective Ruger lcr with crimson trace laser grips 38 special or the S&W M&P 340 357magnum with crimson trace laser grips.

Has anybody shot a few hundred rounds threw a Ruger lcr without any problems or knows somebody that has? Also heard something about flame cutting? Any information is welcomed and thank you!
    When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone, and evil men want you dead. Only then will you have done your share.

I have two Ruger LCRs. One for my wife and one is mine. Mine has a Crimson Trace Lazer Grip on it and I like both very well. I've put probably 300-400 rounds down the barrel between the two of them and am very impressed. My son has the Smith 340 with the lazer grips and it is great however you will find on most Smiths that the trigger is too heavy for people that don't shoot double action revolvers much. (Was going to say women but that wouldn't be PC). We had a Smith 442 for my wife and she just didn't like the heavy trigger so when I could finally find a LCR we bought it and she likes the trigger on it. The trigger on the LCRs are really smooth and feel light compared to a out-of-the-box Smith. Also the poly frame seems to help absorb recoil. Doesn't seem to bother my hand as much as the Smith when shooting full power loads. The only downside I can see is if you short stroke the trigger for the second shot you are going to skip a chamber, which means you might have to just keep pulling the trigger to get back to that loaded chamber. The 340s are very nice however they come with a nice price. Also the LCR isn't chambered for .357 yet, although they are supposed to be out pretty soon. I've shot the 340 with .357s and it just ain't no fun. I use Spreer GD Short Barrel ammo in the LCRs and it's a plus P I think and they aren't too bad to shoot. Autos are cool and hold lots of bullets but most anyone can pull the trigger on a revolver and make them go bang every time.
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" Benjamin Franklin

NRA LIfe member

Comment

I do not think a 340, 360 is a good idea for your mom, I have had and shot the 360 for a few years now, and it is not pleasant. Shot my buddies LCR and think it would be a better choice for your mom.

The smith has a shim looking thing on the frame to protect the frame. So it must be an issue. Don't know about the LCR.

Like both guns, my next one will be a 3 inch mp 360. But I would go ruger for my mom.

Comment

Originally posted by loneranger04 View Post
        I have two Ruger LCRs. One for my wife and one is mine. Mine has a Crimson Trace Lazer Grip on it and I like both very well. I've put probably 300-400 rounds down the barrel between the two of them and am very impressed. My son has the Smith 340 with the lazer grips and it is great however you will find on most Smiths that the trigger is too heavy for people that don't shoot double action revolvers much. (Was going to say women but that wouldn't be PC). We had a Smith 442 for my wife and she just didn't like the heavy trigger so when I could finally find a LCR we bought it and she likes the trigger on it. The trigger on the LCRs are really smooth and feel light compared to a out-of-the-box Smith. Also the poly frame seems to help absorb recoil. Doesn't seem to bother my hand as much as the Smith when shooting full power loads. The only downside I can see is if you short stroke the trigger for the second shot you are going to skip a chamber, which means you might have to just keep pulling the trigger to get back to that loaded chamber. The 340s are very nice however they come with a nice price. Also the LCR isn't chambered for .357 yet, although they are supposed to be out pretty soon. I've shot the 340 with .357s and it just ain't no fun. I use Speer GD Short Barrel ammo in the LCRs and it's a plus P I think and they aren't too bad to shoot. Autos are cool and hold lots of bullets but most anyone can pull the trigger on a revolver and make them go bang every time.
        Ruger's web site lists the LCR in 357, so they are out, but the pipeline to the stores may not be loaded yet.

The 38 Special is easier to shoot, and most 357s are shot with 38 Special a lot more than 357. The sights on all the snubbies are not as easy to see, the laser grips from Crimson Trace do help when the ambient light is poor.
        The people think the Constitution protects their rights; But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
        If your religion says suicide and murder are wrong; Aren't you doing both if you are not prepared to defend your life and the lives of others?
        I am not a lawyer, but I have personal opinions.

Comment

Go Smith m60. Stainless helps absorb the 357 rounds. Or carry 38+p like I did.
          01/06 FFL $15 transfers and guns near wholesale

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties. And not to Democrats alone do I make this appeal, but to all who love these great and true principles~ Abe Lincoln

Comment

A mom is worth both.

tk

Comment

I would also recommend the LCR. Mine is the laser version too. Love it! Never shot the Smith snubbies before, so I can't say anything about them. The price is a lot cheaper for the LCR though.
              Because when you think about it, It's just stuff man...It's just stuff.

The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival, large angle of arrival, small probability of survival.

All God's children have guns---House of Payne

Comment

I would (and do) carry stainless steel versus an airweight or a polymer.

If you desire a polymer, why not S&W's latest Body Guard 38 with integral laser. Not the humpback Bodyguard frame style, but this:

"Why is it wives can't just accept the biological mystery of guns reproducing in gun cabinets, and let it go at that?" - Patrick F. McManus

Comment

Originally posted by big gary View Post
                  I do not think a 340, 360 is a good idea for your mom, I have had and shot the 360 for a few years now, and it is not pleasant. Shot my buddies LCR and think it would be a better choice for your mom.

The smith has a shim looking thing on the frame to protect the frame. So it must be an issue. Don't know about the LCR.

Like both guns, my next one will be a 3 inch mp 360. But I would go ruger for my mom.
                  I mentioned to Gary that I was lusting after the 340 at Thunderbird. He told me to come by Sunday, and bring all the .357 ammo I had, I could shoot his 360. Then he chuckled a little, like right before he tied me to the gas meter when we were kids. Maybe go rent some guns with mom?
                  Originally posted by kscardsfan
                  Grain of salt hell, I'm taking it with a salt block from the feed store. Thats a big bunch of crap there.
                  Originally posted by zap
                  Winning a political debate on this forum is like winning the special Olympics....you would need to be a retard to enter it.

Comment

She's going with the Ruger Lcr 38 special with the CT lasergrip due to the cheaper price and from your guys advice.
                    When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone, and evil men want you dead. Only then will you have done your share.

Comment

Working...
                    X