Parallax Tactical FFSSR 13” Free-Floating System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parallax Tactical FFSSR 13” Free-Floating System

Well I was skimming through some of the many firearm/shooting magazines that I normally read and I came across a free-floating AR15 handguard I had never seen before. I started to read a little more and this product started to sound good. The specific handguard I am talking about is the FFSSR 13” “free-floating” rail system by Parallax Tactical. The rail by Parallax reminds me a lot of a Knight Armament Company(KAC) URX 3/3.1 It has machined rail sections in the forward part of the rail at 12,3,6,9 o’clock, and the rear portion has full rails in the 12, 6 o’clock and in the 3,9 is only a partial rail with one cross milled area. The middle portion of the rail is a thinned grip section. If you take a quick look at the Industry and the handguard systems that have been coming out lately you will see a trending market for free-floating handguards that are light, strong and have the ability to have rail sections easily added, or have limited rail section placed were 90% of items would be mounted. By doing this you are reducing overall weight, slimming up the overall diameter of the grip and taking away the constant need to buy rail covers and ladder covers to protect your expensive handguards and you hands. Looks like the days of excessive amounts of “rail-estate” could be coming to a end, and the old saying “location, location, location” the key.

Looking specifically at the 13” FFSSR Handguard by Parallax Tactical I personally see many nice features. Though I have not got my hands on one yet on paper and in pictures so far looks to make a nice addition to any AR15 needing a free floating handguard system. Milled into the forward quarter of the handguard is rail sections at 12, 3, 6 and 9 oclock, the rear quarter has full rails at the 12 and 6 o’clock position with the 3 and 9 having only one cross milled area in the rail. It has 4 limited rotation QD sling pockets at the usual spots. The middle half section has slots that will accept Magpul Industries rail sections and only has a diameter of 1.5”. It also has a full-length rail in the 12 o’clock position this may have been confused when describing the forward and rear sections of the hand-guard. From what I can find in published data online the rail weights in at 14oz without the barrel nut. I’ve not been able to find any published data on the material they are producing these rails out of, but I am assuming right now that they are using the current industry standard 6061 T6 Aluminum. The rail mounts up using a sleeve system and six screws. Now the really great thing is that the list price is $199.00 for the current Gen 2 offering. Compared to other free-floating systems on the market this is a welcome ticket price. I looked at a few other offerings available from other leading companies. Daniels Defense in their “Lite” line this is a fully railed handguard that weights in at 17oz for the 14” version and 15.3oz for the 12” version. Troy Industries Battlerail Extreme comes in a 10.53oz without the barrel nut, this rail only has a top rail unless you add sections. The new Noveske NSR 13.5” tips the scales at a very light 7.9oz + 3.1oz for the barrel nut for a total of 11oz with a full top rail and the ability to add sections on the bottom and sides. The Parallax FFSSR handguard has rail sections covering half the 13” system and comes in a 14oz putting it right where it should be lighter than the Daniels Lite and a few ounces heavier then the Noveske and Troy systems that only have top rails. So far on paper this system from Parallax shows promise and I hope to be able to get my hands on one to really get a user impression. Im going to give Parallax Tactical and ask them a few questions come Monday. I will mainly be asking the material they are using and if the barrel nut is of a different material as well as the changes from the Gen I and newer Gen II version. Im also wondering if they are working on a 9” length version for use guys that are not sold on the longer handguard systems. I think a 9” version would be perfect with a PRI flip up gas-block front sight and a BCM 16 barrel. I will try and update after Monday.

http://www.parallaxtactical.com/stor...-gen-1998.html

Gen I Version
    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=491224
    "We could say they spend like drunken sailors, but that would be unfair to drunken sailors. Drunken Sailors are spending their OWN money". ~ Ronald Reagan

COME, my tan-faced children,
    Follow well in order, get your weapons ready;
    Have you your pistols? have you your sharp edged axes? Pioneers! O pioneers!

we need substandard stuff....

Comment

Pending material this is made of, I would like to move on this also. I like this so much that I'm scheming another AR build. Thanks for the find Rigger. If this is made out of decent material, it will be a very solid value. Another win for the free market.
      Last edited by fixxer; 09-23-2012, 18:52.
      For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
      And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
      And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
      And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!
      -Lord Byron (=5 lines)

Comment

14oz is not including the barrel nut. So that's comparable to the NSR at 7.9oz which puts it about 6oz heavier.

Having said that, I do not use vertical grips and I WOULD have to use some sort of attachment points for a sling and at the very least, a light on the front of the gun. Besides a sling and a light I don't usually add anything to my builds. That would make this new FFSSR an almost perfect rail straight from the factory for me. Price is good for me too. This would be nice on a build for lightweight varminting or precision shooting.

One concern I do have is heat dissipation...with the handguard being that narrow in the middle where you hold it I wonder how hot it gets.
        Originally posted by Turbobuddha
        The eyes can lie. I've seen it. There are some truly sick people out there and if you look in their eyes, you'll see loving kindness, while their hands are making animal balloons with your intestine.
        Originally posted by Over40andA40
        I believe you need to revaluate your existence within our community here and perhaps disconnect yourself from those of us still living in the REAL world.

Comment

The Noveske would be 10.10oz with both the handguard and the Nut. I would estimate that since the mounting system and nut both work and look very close that you could say that the barrel nut for the Parallax system would be around 3-4oz for a total of 17-18oz. This would be about the same as the Daniels "Lite" but with the nice features it looks to have and at almost half the cost of a 14" DD Lite @ $367 plus $10 for the wrench and dont forget shipping cost.

Like i said i will be trying to get ahold of them by phone on Monday to ask some questions i have. I will make sure to get as much spec info as possible. I will also ask about the heat question as i overlooked that as i was focused on published data that i could find. That could be a factor with the OD being only 1.5" If you guys think of anything else let me know and i will pass you questions along and get back with you as best i can with answers. I thought of something else with comparing it to the KAC URX series, you dont need the $100 one purpose only wrench that the KAC requires for installation, You dont even need a AR-Armors tool, just a Crow-foot wrench and Torque wrench. If that isnt field friendly i dont know what is.

USNRigger
          Last edited by usnrigger; 09-23-2012, 19:54.
          "We could say they spend like drunken sailors, but that would be unfair to drunken sailors. Drunken Sailors are spending their OWN money". ~ Ronald Reagan

Comment

Update: I gave Parallax Tactical this afternoon and talked with a few guys about the rail/handguard. I asked the questions i had as well as the questions you guys put up as i dont think of everything.

1.) Material its made out of? Its made from 6061 T6 Extruded Aluminum.

2.) Q: With the diameter of the handguard being 1.5" in the grip area does head become a problem with the barrel setting in close relationship?

A: It can be, but for the majority of users this will not come into play. If your doing alot of sustained fire or running it full-auto, it would be a good idea to wear gloves or use a VFG. This will also depend on the type and contour of your barrel as to how much or how fast heat will build up.

3.) Q: I asked if they are looking at or in the works on differant length versions of this handguard?

A: They are in some form or another working on a 15" and a 11.5" version, though no ETA times. I also asked about a 9" version and they didnt sound like they were looking at this length at this time. The individual did state that they are Duracoating these rails in many colors right. He gave me a few colors like Foliage, FDE and a Grey. I didnt ask if this was by customer request or if they would be listing them on the website as a option.

4.) Q: How does the Magpul Ind. rail sections mount, and how easy are they to mount with the rail being very "skinny" in the mounting area?

A: From talking back and forth with the guy it sounds like they are pretty easy to get mounted in a sense. I would not say its something that goes on in a snap as you need something long to hold the back plate as you threat the screw into plate. He said this can be done with out removing the handguard, but also said that if your not running anything forward of the rail that you could just take out the 6 screws that hold it to the sleeve(barrel nut) and have more room to get everything mounted up.

-These answers are by no means exact words of the company or individual i talked with. Im para-phrasing and interpreting from the conversation i had.

My current impressions after looking at the published data and talking with the company:

-The heat problem i can not comment on directly as im not able to have a hands on review of this handguard. Logically i would think it would not be a problem except if you dump'd a Beta-mag or Surefire 60rd or was ripping through 30rd mags one after another. In that case or situation you should be wearing gloves IMO anyway. I might try to get one of these to confirm this and test it out a bit as it looks like a nice rail with some good thought put into what is needed and is somewhat overkill for people. I do wish they would come out with a 9" version as for me im not a fan of rails longer then 12" -- I know these longer rails provide a longer sight radius, but i do just find with the standard lengths work fine for me. The last thing is the mounting of the Magpul Ind. Rail section, as going through the process in my head and with it being a 13" rail with a OD of 1.5" it could be a task to get the back plate inplace, especially with the barrel depending on its profile taking up alot of the room in that area.

I would still say this is a good looking system, on paper appears well built and at a good price point. this would be right at home on a 3-gun rifle, with the rails placed the right places, the longer sight radius, solid mounting setup and a good weight.

USNRigger

Comment

doesn't look like there are any in stock.
              The eyes can lie. I've seen it. There are some truly sick people out there and if you look in their eyes, you'll see loving kindness, while their hands are making animal balloons with your intestine.
              I believe you need to revaluate your existence within our community here and perhaps disconnect yourself from those of us still living in the REAL world.

Comment

Great... I click on the link to look at the stock and my wife sees the model...

She gives me the "WTH are you looking at?" look.

For the record, I saw no AR stocks on that page...
                Je Suis Charles Martel...

Comment

My $180 13" Alpha weights 11.4 oz. IWC makes all sorts of mounting solutions for it making rail sections obsolete.

I also agree w/ a lot of the Calgun guys. The rails in the rear are useless.

Doesn't seem to be anything outside of the norm other than the increased weight and price.
                  Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

I'm digging the noveske NSR right now...a lot of alpha/IWC stuff fits it too. Can't find any in stock tho.

I will want a bipod occasionally in front, somewhere to put my x300, and that's really about it.

Comment

Originally posted by ksmedman View Post
                      Great... I click on the link to look at the stock and my wife sees the model...

She gives me the "WTH are you looking at?" look.

For the record, I saw no AR stocks on that page...
                      I'm glad someone else noticed...

I had to look pretty hard to find a handguard in that picture.
                      Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Any updates here? Necropost, lol

I have the 11.5 version of this rail on its way.

Comment

I'm holding out for the keymod model.

Zach
                          Originally posted by Dirk
                          The good news for me is that I won't have to see YOU there...
                          Originally posted by Willfully Armed
                          I do fancy these meaningful talks we tend to have sometimes.

Comment

What benefit is there to keymod? I just don't get the whole keymod thing. There are maybe 2 different accessories in the marketplace that can utilize the keymod system.

Is there something I'm not seeing or not getting?

Comment

Originally posted by stormy View Post
                              What benefit is there to keymod? I just don't get the whole keymod thing. There are maybe 2 different accessories in the marketplace that can utilize the keymod system.

Is there something I'm not seeing or not getting?
                              The keymod allow accessories to attach without the use of nuts and bolts...they also allow items to mount flush to the handguard.

Zach (and myself) don't like railed handguards because they are kinda bulky and just pointless in general. With a keymod rail you just pick where you want to mount your light or other accessories and mount it directly to the rail.

I'm not saying the keymod system is the best thing out there but it's been a pretty neat trend so far this year. My rifle sports a NSR keymod rail and I'm loving it.

Comment

Working...
                              X