GP100 Wiley Clapp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GP100 Wiley Clapp

Well, I got a big case of the Clapp Yesterday! I know, horrible joke, but I couldn't resist the sophomoric pun. Anyway, my GP100 Wiley Clapp edition arrived Tuesday to my FFL and I picked it up Thursday. The GP100 is even more of a tank than the SP101s are, I know, bigger frame all around. But the GP100 just "feels" more massive. I should say it feels SOLID, honestly, just doing some dry firing after cleaning, it feels more like an extension of my hand. I was impressed with fit and finish. The action was quite a bit more smooth than I anticipated, in double action, the trigger didn't feel excessively heavy at all, single action was extremely crisp. It feels almost as if Ruger or TALO "tweaked" the action a bit. Overall impressions is that this is one hell of a pistol, now, if we can get above freezing, I'll get it out to the range and see how it shoots!

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

“Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier, or not having been at sea.” Dr. Samuel Johnson (1709-1784).

NRA Life Member
    JPFO Member

Satin finish....different sights ... Fancy insert.

Anything else different?

I really like the satin finish.
    01/06 FFL $15 transfers and guns near wholesale

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties. And not to Democrats alone do I make this appeal, but to all who love these great and true principles~ Abe Lincoln

Comment

They've melted the sharper edges and beveled the cylinder. Trigger pull works out to be just over 8 pounds for double action, which is couple of pounds lighter than the GP100 and just a hair over 4 pounds for single action.

Ruger went with a version of the old Lett style grips from Altamont for this model.
      Last edited by JayHawker45; 01-26-2013, 01:42.

“Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier, or not having been at sea.” Dr. Samuel Johnson (1709-1784).

NRA Life Member
      JPFO Member

Comment

That's a nice looking rig. Like the 3"..and the sights too.
        I love my 4" GP...but it doesnt look like that one.
        Enjoy, & thanks for sharing! Let us know how it shoots!
        "Once we have a war there is only one thing to do. It must be won. For defeat brings worse things than any that can ever happen in war." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Nice looking gun. I have a GP100 also, standard, stainless 4in. They are built like tanks in true Ruger overbuild everything fashion. Bet it will shoot great!
          I'm probably on the list. Don't laugh. So are you!
          Multi-Tasking is great until you actually have to accomplish something.
          I quit playing by other peoples rules. They are not written with my best interests in mind.

Comment

I like the satin, stainless, full carry melt. Nice piece.
            President Ronald Reagan said it best, “We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”

Comment

Looks pretty, would look nice sitting next to it's brother.

Let us know how you like the 2" barrel (?) and the recoil. I can't imagine it being much of an issue really, as stout as they are.

Who put that finish on it ? The Wiley Clapp GP100's I've seen were stainless ...
              Last edited by Eagle; 01-26-2013, 05:06.
              * I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
              * Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."
              * For those who said we're "stupid" & "that will never happen", welcome to the real world. How are you liking it so far ?

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle View Post
                Looks pretty, would look nice sitting next to it's brother.

Let us know how you like the 2" barrel (?) and the recoil. I can't imagine it being much of an issue really, as stout as they are.

Who put that finish on it ? The Wiley Clapp GP100's I've seen were stainless ...
                It's a 3 inch barrel, a good compromise to get an efficient burn of the powder in the .357 mag, everything I've read shows there's not much loss in velocity going from a 4 inch to 3 inch barrel and not too big for concealed carry.

I've never seen a Wiley Clapp model in the GP100 in polished stainless, Ruger and TALO, put this particular model out in what they call Hawkeye Matte--it reminds me a lot of the Ruger Target Grey finish of some years ago.

I'd been looking for one of these for a while and finally found a dealer in Texas that had three in stock. By the time I finished placing my order, a period of about 10 minutes, he'd sold out--this was almost midnight at that!

Ruger and TALO are showing photos of a blued model Wiley GP100, but so far, nobody has seen one in gunshops yet.

NRA Life Member
                JPFO Member

Comment

You know how it feels to have eaten Thanksgiving dinner.

Then momma brings the desert in......

You just did that.
                  Romans 12:18 If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men.
                  Still sorta fast, but No Longer For Hire.....Yippie
                  Yes, I look like my avatar.

Comment

Very nice. I have a 6" GP100 and they are great guns.
                    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" Benjamin Franklin

NRA LIfe member

Comment

Very nice looking. Hope you enjoy it.
                      AF & AM
                      Carry Weapons G26 or G30

Comment

That there is purdy. I'm a big fan of stainless and power.
                        "When I held that gun in my hand, I felt a surge of power... like God must feel when he's holding a gun." Homer Simpson

Comment

Very nice. I know what I am putting on my Christmas wish list. Only 11 months to go now.

Comment

Working...
                          X