Precision Armament AFAB Mini Review

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Precision Armament AFAB Mini Review

I just received an AFAB Mini, or Adavanced Flash Arresting Brake from Precision Armament based out of Wellsville, NY. Precision Armament is a relatively new player on the scene for manufacturing gun parts, and they offer a few other muzzle brakes and gun parts. In our contact with them they seem to be genuinely nice guys.

http://precisionarmament.com/product...r-compensator/

The AFAB Mini is a hybrid design that offers both flash suppression capability as well as recoil and muzzle flip mitigation. It is vented all the way around the brake, except for a strip along the bottom in order to not vent any gas downward to eliminate muzzle rise as well as reduce ground signature when shooting prone. The quality of machining as well as the attention to detail is outstanding. I believe that for the price asked ($110) the buyer is getting a bargain based on the work and materials involved to make an AFAB. The AFAB is constructed out of heat treated stainless steel, so it should be a very durable muzzle device over the long haul.

I received the AFAB, along with the Accu-Washer kit from Precision Armament for some T&E, and I should note that I am not being paid to review this product, nor am I affiliated with Precision Armament in any way. My initial impression of the AFAB was that I was impressed with how highly detailed of a piece that it is, and of its unique design. I spent the majority of my shooting time with the AFAB affixed on my 16” Larue PredatAR with an H2 buffer and mid length gas system, and I’m more or less blown away by how smooth shooting it is. The muzzle flip when using the AFAB is essentially non-existent, and even more impressive than the recoil elimination is how little concussion or feedback that the shooter and those around him are subjected to. I’ve generally always disliked muzzle brakes and comps because the gas expended and the noise is irritating to me when shooting, but it’s very easy to ignore when using the AFAB. I shot the AFAB next to a Griffin Armament M4 SD 2 tactical compensator, and the AFAB was the clear winner. The AFAB was both smoother shooting as well as quieter, better at recoil mitigation and I felt that it expended less gas and was significantly less concussive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cth_Xsils0

I had the opportunity to test this comp out at night next to an A2 flash hider, a YHM Phantom Flash Hider and a Manticore Arms Eclipse Flash hider (very similar to a Smith Vortex.) I was very pleasantly surprised by how well of a job the AFAB did suppressing the muzzle flash, it certainly suppressed it enough to keep the blast out of the shooter’s field of vision. We took video of the different brakes, and while the A2 suppressed the flash enough to keep it off of our video, we all felt that in person the A2 design suppressed flash only slightly better than the AFAB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBRJ...ature=youtu.be

I have really enjoyed having the opportunity to get some time on this comp for some T&E, and I’m excited to keep using it and see how well it holds up several thousand rounds from now. If I had the opportunity to use this on a duty rifle I think I probably would, and I can see this offering from the folks at Precision Armament rivaling or even being preferable to many shooters over other brakes/comps in this price range, such as Battle Comps or BCM Gunfighter comps.

Thanks to my good buddy DMViergever for his photo work and video!

Last edited by Tzook; 01-20-2014, 13:36.
    Gun and Gear reviews at www.almosttacticalreviews.com

Originally Posted by Willfully Armed
    Of course, if you just hunted shirtless, no BG would test you...

Here is my ten pennies.

Here is my write up on the AFAB Mini, I have some more pictures I am processing and uploading that will be added tonight. TZook and I are buds and were sharing the same gun, he was not around for the 10.5 action though.

In the never ending quest for the "perfect muzzle device". I have found myself let down time and time again. It seems if one mitigates muzzle rise the flash is blinding and the ones that hide flash do very little to contain muzzle rise. About the time you find one to do both the concussion is so bad you check your nose for blood and your training buddies quit texting you. Typically every one has ended up in the equipment exchange or parts bin.

Enter the AFAB Mini. When I started hearing whispering about the hybrid muzzle device from Precision Armament I figured it was another too good to be true brake but after while curiosity got the best of me and I got my hands on one.

My first impression out of the box was good. It was well packaged and shipping was quick. The machining on it is very good. The lines are very clean with no machining marks to speak of and the finish was smooth. As you can see in the photos it has several squares cut into it and several holes to vent gas with prongs on the end. Another attractive feature was at the 6 O'clock position there is a pre-drilled hole that has just a little bit of material left to be removed for pinning on a 14.5 barrel. After confirming with Rainier, I found out that the cost of pinning this Brake is slightly cheaper at 39.95 since less work is required.

Enough about looks...lets talk performance. The 6 O'clock position on it is solid and closed so as not to allow gas to push up on the muzzle. As mentioned before it is also where the hole for drilling is, which helped with timing. Another thing that helped timing was Precision Armament's Accu-washer system. They are a set of washers that help with proper alignment and are different thicknesses and adjusted in 20 degree increments. At first I thought this was overly complicated, then I quit being a dude and read the instructions. After getting it timed up we started the fun part, running drills. It was easy to see how smooth this comp was. Muzzle rise was nearly non existent with a good aggressive forward stance running a 16 inch, mid length PredatAR upper with H2 buffer. The other nice thing was the concussion was not noticeable from behind the rifle or to the side. We have officially killed two birds with one stone! After that I put it on my 10.5 Ultramatch barrel with the Adams gas piston kit and again muzzle rise was negligible and double taps were all very tight. Concussion on the 10.5 was a little more noticeable but nothing like a FSC556 or another shooting buddies Battlecomp on his 10.5.

After doing a little bit of shooting, multiple targets and the obligatory mag dump it was time to try out some shooting positions. These were done on both very loose dirt and also very fine gravel. First and foremost was regular prone, which proved to be no issue for stirring up dirt or throwing it in your face. Next We did a little bit of junkyard prone and urban prone. With the rifle on its side it definitely stirred a bit more dust. The dirt was not too bad at all but the dry, dusty gravel got stirred up a bit more. Nothing ever hit me in the face or glasses though and visibility was never compromised. Throughout shooting I never felt like the recoil changed, obviously muzzle rise decreased, but I didn't feel more of a push with this sort of brake as you do with a linear style comp. I also never noticed a change in ejection pattern so there is no worry about turning your ol' reliable into a gassy hog.

So far we were all very happy with the AFAB but now it was time for some night shooting and we were sceptical just on account of previous experience. The AFAB mini is supposed to be different though.

AFAB stands for Advanced Flash Arresting Brake and we were really hoping it was more than just a clever name. After loading up some mags, shooting some other comps and hiders for a basis it was time for the AFAB to sink or swim...and in our eyes it swam.

While it doesn't completely eliminate flash in the pitch black it does keep it very negligible. Using the A2 as our basis we went back and forth several times and to the shooter there is no difference in the two. Another thing I noticed was it also seemed to disperse smoke so as not to smoke out a light at the 12 O'clock position. To the side the AFAB had a slightly larger signature but I believe it is more the way it is contained. With the A2 it is more of a long slit where the AFAB puts it in more of a ball. On the shorter barrel (10.5) the flash was more noticeable to me while shooting but still was no obstruction. That is why it has the "mini" added to its name. Precision Armament is currently in the works of making a slightly larger model that will make the flash not noticeable like the mini does on the 16.

The overall thought on the AFAB mini were positive across the board for everyone that participated in the evening shooting. Out of the 3 guys there one walked away with an AFAB and two were saying "I am gonna have to pick one of those up". Me being one that was going to have to pick one up. I am excited and interested to see how it stacks up against the Griffin Flashcomp and am working on getting my hands on one. Curiosity also has be looking at the Lantac Dragon.

As far as what I know though, the Precision Armament offering is excellent, lightweight and also pretty affordable at $104.95 from Rainier Arms.

DMViergever
    Www.facebook.com/almosttactical
    Last edited by DMViergever; 01-21-2014, 03:01.
    http://www.almosttactical.com

Comment

Cool stuff Tzook!
      How does it work as a brake? Is it a loudener like most?

ETA: Didn't see the part DMV added. Thanks!
      Last edited by ksmedman; 01-20-2014, 15:18.
      Je Suis Charles Martel...

Comment

You think it did the same job as the battlecomp at a cheaper price with less concussion?

Less than my 11.5 with battlecomp?

Impressive. I wish they had a shorter version but it looks like something I might seriously look at the next time I need a muzzle device.
        Originally posted by Turbobuddha
        The eyes can lie. I've seen it. There are some truly sick people out there and if you look in their eyes, you'll see loving kindness, while their hands are making animal balloons with your intestine.
        Originally posted by Over40andA40
        I believe you need to revaluate your existence within our community here and perhaps disconnect yourself from those of us still living in the REAL world.

Comment

Originally posted by ksmedman View Post
          Cool stuff Tzook!
          How does it work as a brake? Is it a loudener like most?

ETA: Didn't see the part DMV added. Thanks!
          You got it boss. I know I covered concussion but no I didn't think it was a bit louder at all.

Comment

Originally posted by norinco982lover View Post
            You think it did the same job as the battlecomp at a cheaper price with less concussion?

Less than my 11.5 with battlecomp?

Impressive. I wish they had a shorter version but it looks like something I might seriously look at the next time I need a muzzle device.
            I have had and recommended battlecomps but overall I prefer this. The BC is more concussive on your 11.5 than it was on my 10.5 and there is no push, pull,twist with this one. With BC's I feel a downward push. They are almost too good at what they do IMO.

Comment

You guys get all the cool stuff...
              Sounds like a good time.
              Je Suis Charles Martel...

Comment

I didn't notice the comp being louder than anything else, other comps have always bothered be for that reason
                Gun and Gear reviews at www.almosttacticalreviews.com

Originally Posted by Willfully Armed
                Of course, if you just hunted shirtless, no BG would test you...

Comment

Working as advertised, and sexy? I may have to get a couple of these!

Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X