Rock River Arms lower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock River Arms lower

I bought a Rock River lower at Tulsa last week and I won't buy Rock River products again. My SSK Industries upper came in today and it would not fit the RR lower. I tried two Bushmaster uppers and an AR57 upper and none of them would fit either.
    The problem was at the rear pin. RR didn't mill quite enough out of the back of the reciever for the upper rear pin lug to close in the reciever. It didn't take much with a dremel to get the uppers to close on the lower but I shouldn't have had to do that. Rock River recievers can't be mil. spec.
    Guns have only two enemies; rust and politicians.

A friend of mine bought a Rock river lower about a year ago and it was the same as yours. When he tried to put his upper on it it would not shut. He tried All his uppers and all of my uppers and none of them would fit. He was pretty upset so we called Rock River and they said this is "normal" and instructed him to smack the upper into the lower with a rubber mallet with a little CLP on the rear lug of the upper. They said it would loosen up over time. We said no way this thing is too tight it wont work but RRA insisted so we did it. They were right it worked and it does break open pretty easy now.

Comment

Originally posted by bigl1971 View Post
      A friend of mine bought a Rock river lower about a year ago and it was the same as yours. When he tried to put his upper on it it would not shut. He tried All his uppers and all of my uppers and none of them would fit. He was pretty upset so we called Rock River and they said this is "normal" and instructed him to smack the upper into the lower with a rubber mallet with a little CLP on the rear lug of the upper. They said it would loosen up over time. We said no way this thing is too tight it wont work but RRA insisted so we did it. They were right it worked and it does break open pretty easy now.
      For as much as rock river wants for their products you shouldnt have to "hit it with a mallet" to get it to work. My bushmaster , spikes tactical, and DPMS lowers all will interchange with every upper Ive tried them on. I'd be upset but thats just me
      "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster on your side kid."

Comment

I must admit you got my curiousity up so i went and grabbed my box of 10stripped RRA lowers ( i was lucky enough to get in on their 10 for 11 deal), a spare set of pins, a bushy v-match upper, a bushy predator upper, a original colt A1 upper and 2 stripped olympic arms flat tops, one early production where they milled off the carry handle and pinned on a picatinny rail at the factory and a recent A3 variant.
        All of the uppers mounted on the lowers (i only tried 3 of the 10 lowers) without any problems. RRA's have a solid rep and i am sure they would be happy to hear from you if you gave them a call and informed them of the situation.
        Have a good one!
        There's Room For All Of God's Creatures!!! Right Next To The Mashed Potatoes!!!

Comment

No he was not very happy about it. This came from RB Precision's web site.

Fitting a Rock River upper to you lower. (Tight fit? We can help)

All of the Rock River Arms lowers are an extremely tight fit, they need to be worked in the following way :

For the love of God make sure there is no rounds in rifle and it is on safe, the hammer will need to be back in the cocked position!!! Our lawyers make us tell you that death is possible if this is loaded when you perform this, we like our customers please do not shoot yourself!

1. Assemble the front pivot pin to the upper.

2. Lubricate the rear lug completely with a light grease (best) or oil, lube the inside of the receiver also.

3. Ensure the rear takedown pin is completely out in the open position (detent is holding)

4. Slowly push the 1/2's together, they will stick (THIS IS NORMAL) it will most likely not close completely at first this is normal.

5. Open and close, repeat being careful to keep the halves aligned, do not slam them together but continue to use increasing force to fit together, when almost completely together use a nylon or soft rubber mallet to tap upper receiver into final position.

6. When they are seated (little to no gap between upper and lower) lightly tap the rear takedown pin into place. This will seem scary to a beginner but it is natural for a tight fit.

7. You may see some of the anodized removed from the rear lug at the corners, AGAIN, this is normal.

8. You may have some difficulty separating the upper and lower, with barrel up and rifle unsupported (hanging in the air) grasp the rifle by handguard and give a "smack" to the top of the buttstock, you may need to do this repeatable, usually 5-10 times will do the trick.
          Last edited by bigl1971; 11-16-2008, 02:58. Reason: not finished

Comment

Rock River recievers can't be mil. spec.
            Most consumer AR-15s are not. If you want mil-spec then get a Colt.
            -.- -.. ....- .... ... ---

Comment

Tighter is better, as long as you can get the pin in. Loose upper/lower connections are why there are things such as the Accuwedge out there to tighten that gap up and improve accuracy. It seems that the RRA lowers might be a little TOO tight if you need a hammer to get them to fit..
              JoeBobOutfitters.com
              FFL Dealer
              2011 Vine Street
              Hays, KS 67601
              785-639-7121

Comment

Originally posted by madengr View Post
                Most consumer AR-15s are not. If you want mil-spec then get a Colt.
                Bushmaster, DPMS, Armalite as a majority of AR uppers and lowers are mil spec and should interchange. This is the first time I had to "hammer" a upper and lower together. A tight fit is one thing but needing to use a hammer is unacceptable to me. I've had several 16" to 24" ARs shoot under MOA even with a little play in the recievers.

They are built to the drawings dimensions which call out tolerances, but that does not mean they are mil-spec. Mil-spec calls out things such as magnetic particle inspection on the bolts, metallurgy tests every X units, traceability of all materials, salt-water spray tests, etc..

http://www.fulton-armory.com/Mil_Spec.htm
                Last edited by madengr; 11-16-2008, 13:51.
                Guns have only two enemies; rust and politicians.

Comment

You would expect or even look forward to hammering an AK together because that is the nature of the beast. But an AR? Too much cash is laid out for them to tell you to "bang on it a little bit". What will they come up with next?
                  Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY) "It's the shoulder thing that goes up", when asked what a barrel shroud was.

Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) "We have to sign it so we can see what is inside of it", talking about Obama's health care bill.

Comment

I've never had trouble with any Rock River parts matching other Rock River parts? They are tight, but they work.

Comment

Working...
                    X