Molle.. Pants?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Molle.. Pants?

I'm looking for pants that, I guess Molle or something similar, to fashion the bottom half of a ghillie suit. Vests, shirts and caps are simple and real cheap to find, from 10 to 30 bucks in some magazines. But I never see affordable pants.
    Anybody have an idea? We're trying to keep the price at 30 or under bucks for the pants alone. Preferably adjustable pants, maybe oversized. I have 6 other guys willing to participate in the game. All but one is roughly my height (6 foot). The base color needs to be brush patterned, or otherwise green-ish to fit into the area well.

Any ideas?

Here's the game:

I know it sounds silly. But me and a buddy were thinking of a fun game to play. His sister has a whole lot of land out in the country. It's where we usually do our shooting. It's got lots of high grass, hills, woods, creeks, all that.

Anyway. The game would one person stays out in a pre-designated area. Just a few acres that give a good cross section of the land. That person would have one hour to construct a Ghillie suit and go and hide. The object of the game would be for everybody else to go out and try to find them before they were able to get to a sort of 'extraction point' or a time limit is reached.

I'm thinking we could maybe merge this into a paintball-based game. I think it'd be a real fun idea.

Any ideas on suitable pants for our ghillie suit?

I have an old pair of O.D. green army cold weather pants. It has some adjustment to it, as I recall. It has the lanyard straps in all the pockets. I suppose you could sew molle straps to it, I don't see why not. They are very rugged, very heavy and should stand up to crawling cross-country fairly well I think. You should be able to find something like these in army surplus stores, DAV thrift stores, Salvation Army thrift stores, Sportsmans Guide military surplus catalog, or someplace like Brigade Quartermasters, or U.S. Cavalry.

Your game reminds me of when I used to play Capture the Flag in Boy Scouts! It's really fun in the dark, but you have to be careful!
    http://youtu.be/ei8OK4WdoW0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4CuHBro1ek&feature=channel_page
    http://www.stoppingpower.net/comment...tervention.asp
    http://youtu.be/wXwPtP-KDNk
    https://youtu.be/Iy71umadb6k

Comment

Originally posted by Goodtime Charlie View Post
      I have an old pair of O.D. green army cold weather pants. It has some adjustment to it, as I recall. It has the lanyard straps in all the pockets. I suppose you could sew molle straps to it, I don't see why not. They are very rugged, very heavy and should stand up to crawling cross-country fairly well I think. You should be able to find something like these in army surplus stores, DAV thrift stores, Salvation Army thrift stores, Sportsmans Guide military surplus catalog, or someplace like Brigade Quartermasters, or U.S. Cavalry.

Your game reminds me of when I used to play Capture the Flag in Boy Scouts! It's really fun in the dark, but you have to be careful!
      Hmm... That would probably save us some money.
      I'm going to pittsburg tomorrow. I heard there was an army surplus there. I'll have to see what they got. I can probably get my ex-wife's mother to do the sewing for me.

Thx for the advice.

Comment

Have you ever constructed a good ghillie suit? an hour juust won't cut it. My original one took over 30 hours and I still got gigged a few times.

Then some %^&*&*$^ stole it.
        IN MEMORY OF THOSE WHO LIVED THE GOOD LIFE, FOUGHT THE GOOD FIGHT AND MADE THE ULTIMATE SACRIFICE. MAY WE NEVER FORGET!

Comment

Originally posted by SweetSynaa View Post
          The game would one person stays out in a pre-designated area. Just a few acres that give a good cross section of the land. That person would have one hour to construct a Ghillie suit and go and hide. The object of the game would be for everybody else to go out and try to find them before they were able to get to a sort of 'extraction point' or a time limit is reached.
          Interestingly enough, this is almost exactly how the sport of paintball was invented.
          DoubleTap IDPA / Purveyor and Repairer of Small Arms
          www.flyingmonkeygunworks.com
          SilencerShop Powered NFA Dealer

Comment

That sounds like a lot of fun, Synaa. My in-laws also have a lot of land like you described, and I happen to know I'm getting a lot of Jute string for Christmas as I accidentally saw an order my wife placed while online, haha. Maybe we can play your game as well!

I started making some cheap camo a while back by getting some camo fabric, cutting it in various leaf shapes, and sewing it to the camo I have. It works pretty well for paintball, but next year should be a lot of fun, lol.
            "Women don't like to have fun. Women like to take fun deep into the forest and shoot it till it's dead."- Brad Garrett in "Till Death"

Comment

Originally posted by RexDart View Post
              Interestingly enough, this is almost exactly how the sport of paintball was invented.
              And it is very much like airsoft. Only we shoot at each other.

Comment

Aren't alot of ghillie suits burlap based? I would think the large weave would make for good attachment opps. Cheap too. You could buy bulk burlap and construct simple overclothes or even a cape style garment.
                Je Suis Charles Martel...

Comment

stalkwer or stalkee?

If you need to move, in daylight, having clean, quiet and snag-free pant legs would seem to be better than a lot of grass and twigs on the legs.
                  A burlap poncho and a burlap hood with jute cord sewn in loose loops to make attachment points that can be tightened by pulling the cord tight.
                  Cord could also be used to lift the suit up as needed to allow easier movement through grass or shrub and reduce snagging [no need to leave a trail of the suit bits].

If the suit is like a big poncho, you can squat or sit and your legs will be covered. Make some shoe covers. And use some sticks to make the suit stick up, out or to have a look other than a caped crusader. A couple of sticks to make the head look like a tepee or dead fall will hide the human shape.

If your guy moves in and stays put and doesn't leave a trail, he'd be hard to find.

If your rules require he moves to avoid immanent discovery or he is a stalker, it is a more difficult job.
                  The people think the Constitution protects their rights; But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
                  If your religion says suicide and murder are wrong; Aren't you doing both if you are not prepared to defend your life and the lives of others?
                  I am not a lawyer, but I have personal opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by KS-USN View Post
                    Have you ever constructed a good ghillie suit? an hour juust won't cut it. My original one took over 30 hours and I still got gigged a few times.

Then some %^&*&*$^ stole it.
                    LoL no. No idea. Read some stuff on it, watched some videos about it. That's about it. But I watching a History Channel thing on Marine Scout Snipers and they have to make their own, they do it in the field, in the current enviroment, in like half an hour. I didn't really imagine it would be all that difficult.

It was just an idea.

I see premade ghillies in magazines and stuff. But they're always Russian or German camo based which include a lot of reds which really isn't appropriate for SE Kansas between fall and spring.
                    Last edited by SweetSynaa; 12-09-2008, 23:48.

Comment

I've seen some ghillie set-ups at Alpha One (21st and Tyler) but have no idea about the quality. We have quite a few good ghillie set-ups for airsoft and you can find the base ghillie suit on a lot of the airsoft websites and I think at some of the local stores as well.

As for the idea, that's pretty cool. Sounds a lot like one of the OP's you'd find in one of the airsoft challenges. I'd play but I'd also be tempted to bring my airsoft guns and shoot the would be sniper, lol.

We need an airsoft section!

Comment

Sweet,

Here's a great company to do business with, lots of sniper/concealment gear available http://www.tacticalconcealment.com/

I bought one of their hoods a while back to use deer and coyote hunting. One large area I hunt is in the Missouri river bottom, so laying along a levee with your head and trunk covered while peering down into the fields has proved deadly to more deer and coyote than I care to count. Their Mamba blouse and pants may be more than you are willing to pay, but the pictures may give you some good ideas to construct them yourself. It looks like they use 550 cord sewn to an undergarment, and the stiched on cord becomes the webbing used to attach the camo.

My brother and I have made ghillie suits using the old style BDU pants, and carefully made slits in the legs to feed the jute, cord, and burlap through, then stitched them shut. It's no doubt time consuming, and tailored to a particular environment, but those pants were awesome. I've still got them somewhere, however I lost the waist size necessary to fit them several years ago.

I've also used carharrt's logger pants, as the front from thigh to ankle are double layered. Makes cutting the slits and attaching the material very easy. These are very durable, and given the fact most concealment will be done laying down and crawling, this may be a better choice. http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/s...tegoryId=10934

Please post some pics when you get the suit finished. Good luck!
                        Sometimes being responsible pisses people off! - Colin Powell

Comment

http://http://www.geocities.com/stalker217/ghillie/

These are the instructions I used to make mine. I bought a kit from Sportsmans guide for $30 that included netting and a LOT of jute string in multiple colors. Then I attached it all to an old pair of BDU's. I made my suit a "crawling" suit, so there is nothing attached to the front. Making your oun suit is fun, but can take a lot of time.
                          Last edited by purpleshadow01; 01-08-2009, 15:18.
                          The best advice I was ever given: "Be nice to everyone, have a plan to kill 'em."

Comment

Working...
                          X