Stiletto: The Favored Knife!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stiletto: The Favored Knife!

Hi all, here is an article on stiletto and its history, if you have interest in stiletto's you would love reading it
    Here is a brief history of the stiletto knives and how they became popular in the world. Especially in the WWI and WWII.

Didn't know they were favored in trenches. My first thought would have been bayonets. Silent but deadly.
    "When I held that gun in my hand, I felt a surge of power... like God must feel when he's holding a gun." Homer Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpy View Post
      Didn't know they were favored in trenches. My first thought would have been bayonets. Silent but deadly.
      Kinda tuff to wear heals in the mud...I'll stick with the bayonet...least I might catch me some bayo's. ;-p
      Last edited by ChiefPlumber; 09-07-2018, 15:43.
      President Ronald Reagan said it best, “We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”

Comment

My guess, people would use whatever they could get their hands on

Nothing special about the stiletto, other than it being easy to make

Without training, edges serve little purpose in a close quarters fight as we would see in trench fighting

Given heavy uniforms and gloves the only real target for an edge is the neck

This why we see the dagger being the weapon of choice, a thin blade with a very sharp point such as the Fairbarin-Sykes knife

While the F/S has edges they are secondary, their use primarily being for a specific type of sentry removal

"I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

Back during the Vietnam war I was working in The Sportsman's Center in Springfield, IL. Sold a ton of these to service men or their parents. I wonder how many are still in te VN jungles?

I had one, a very nice knife but 50 years ago a dagger was illegal in many states. It wasn't much good for slicing watermelon. The first models were built with a 5 degree angle between te handle and blade to maximize penetration when stabbing. It could slash but it was primarily a stabber. Can't remember what I did with it. Might have sold it in Iowa to help get the money for the move to Kansas. They still make them but w/o the bend.

The USMC KaBar is a more versatile knife because such knives are better for making a shelter, slicing bacon and pretty good in combat.

Lots of daggers are weak and not designed to do more than slip in and back out.
          The people think the Constitution protects their rights; But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
          If your religion says suicide and murder are wrong; Aren't you doing both if you are not prepared to defend your life and the lives of others?
          I am not a lawyer, but I have personal opinions.

Comment

Working...
          X